Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Adjusting Walls and Lines (Relative vrs. Absolute) [I think]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,

Has anyone run into the option to change the length of walls and lines in a relative distance rather than an absolute distance. By this I mean that if I select a wall that is 3 feet long grab a hotspot and start dragging the end and enter the new distance as 2 feet, I would like that wall to become 5 feet in length, not 2 feet. The only solution I have at the moment is to use [alt] + [shift] to place the user origin at the opposite end of the wall from the hotspot and stretch from there. While this is acceptable it is not the greatest in my opinion. Does anyone know of a global option to control this that I am just not seeing?

Thanks,
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,
You are right. I did have guidelines turned off.
When I turn them on I get the same behavior you do.
To bad. I liked how it worked before but now that
AC does not have the cutom constraint angle
I have to use guidelines and do the addition operation.
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stephen,
I just tried "D" and it seemed to work just like "R".
You say AC prefers "D". How do you mean this ?
Is the result more consistent using "D" versus "R" ?
Peter Devlin
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Stephen wrote:
I've noticed with Tracker on, it prefers "D" for distance rather than "R".
It shouldn't though. D & R should do exactly the same thing in the tracker. I still prefer R, because of this reason.

It appears that with the Guide on we need to temporarily backtrack over our wall before holding shift when stretching it, to have the Edit Origin snap to that end. Without the Guide Lines on it works just like it did previously.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just tried an experiment because i was sure i had seen different results on different occasions.
I drew a line, selected it, grabbed an end node and started to stretch - the display in the tracker was showing distance from the start of the line (not the node I had selected).
I pressed SHIFT to constrain angle, still showed distance from start of line.
I released SHIFT then pressed it again, it now showed distance from selected node.
It appears the SHIFT key is a toggle between the two.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ha ha!! After posting the above message I went back to the same drawing, the same line and got different results again. Seems flakey.
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Peter wrote:
Stephen,
I just tried "D" and it seemed to work just like "R".
You say AC prefers "D". How do you mean this ?
Is the result more consistent using "D" versus "R" ?
Peter Devlin
I think "D" is more consistent than "R". Sometimes (although not always) when "R" is used, the angle changes even though I am constraining the angle with the shift key.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just an observation. I have noticed for awhile now that the folks fro GS are conspicuous by their absence from these forums. You would think that someone from GS would chime in and acknowledge shift as a toggle or not. Perhaps they are just lurking and gathering data for the next bug-fix.

Hello.......Anybody out there??
TomWaltz
Participant
gbley wrote:
Just an observation. I have noticed for awhile now that the folks fro GS are conspicuous by their absence from these forums. You would think that someone from GS would chime in and acknowledge shift as a toggle or not. Perhaps they are just lurking and gathering data for the next bug-fix.

Hello.......Anybody out there??
You believe in unicorns, don't you? 😉
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Next you're going to tell me there is no Easter Bunny