Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 12 Wish List

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's that time of the year when everyone is wishing for something nice to be under the Christmas tree. Granted, for Mac fans Christmas is usually on the second Tuesday of the new year and for ArchiCAD fans it takes even a bit longer than that into the new year, but would I be completely be out of line if I made a few wishes for the new version (given the round number...)?

So, here goes:

1. I can duplicate, even multiply objects in plan, I can do so in 3D. When oh when can I finally do it in section or elevation?

2. The only reason I am still using the age old "Internal Engine" is to see the extent and location of shadows. When oh when will ArchiCAD support shadow casting in OpenGL? It can't be OpenGL for I have a flight simulator that runs in OpenGL that casts beautiful shadows.

3. Why oh why does the import of SketchUp files only work in Windows?

4. Profiles that also apply to slabs and roofs.

5. Support of more than one processor core. Hey, this is the time of dual core processors as standard, and the Xeons now have quad core... I know, I know, this is actually a feature for I can use the other core for working on something else while ArchiCAD is puffing away in the background. Then again, perhaps I would not need to work on something else if ArchiCAD would be truly multi-threaded?

6. Perhaps some warning mechanism that prevents people from overloading Master Layouts? My students make this mistake all the time that they load their Master Layouts with images and project views instead of placing these objects in the Layouts.

7. Pressing the "Update" button in the Layout view, updates ALL VIEWS, unfortunately. But I may have switched some of the views to "Manual Update" in order to avoid coffee breaks whenever I make a change to the original design. So, perhaps two buttons (update and update all) would solve the issue. Update would only update that view(s) which is/are currently selected.

That's it, and season's greetings from the Arabian Peninsula.

Florian
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
giova wrote:
...i really need a quicker command ''offset'' for 2d and 3d elements,
like that one in AutoCad...!
You can get this (and much more) with Cigraph's ArchiRuler.
i know archiruler but it doesn't offset 3d element like walls..
then i think a more simple ''offset'' function should be part of the program..not an addon.
bye
Anonymous
Not applicable
giova wrote:
like that one in AutoCad...
for those who works and live in the UAE hope to meet you soon !!!
What is it about the AutoCAD offset tool that makes it better than the ArchiCAD offset, drag copy (or copies) and multiply commands?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
giova wrote:
like that one in AutoCad...
for those who works and live in the UAE hope to meet you soon !!!
What is it about the AutoCAD offset tool that makes it better than the ArchiCAD offset, drag copy (or copies) and multiply commands?
if u want to offset line, lets say 30 cm, u enter that dim, click on line and ofset, and u can ofset that line as many time u want by distance of 30, and u can while that command is active keep on offset any element by 30.

In archicad u can do this with multyply, and archicad offset comand cant do this, mybe if ofset is updated to this like autocad. .. .

thats the differnce,

and plz dont say we dont need it, cos if one user who bought archicad need it, that gs should listen
Anonymous
Not applicable
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
if u want to offset line, lets say 30 cm, u enter that dim, click on line and ofset, and u can ofset that line as many time u want by distance of 30, and u can while that command is active keep on offset any element by 30.

In archicad u can do this with multyply, and archicad offset comand cant do this, mybe if ofset is updated to this like autocad. .. .

thats the differnce,

and plz dont say we dont need it, cos if one user who bought archicad need it, that gs should listen

ok.. i agree that the offset you mentioned in autocad is easier " doing it without the need of entering distance each time " but the thing is that if you work with autocad you can't do anything without offset !! you need it for every thing for walls , for doors , for windows ... everything while its not the case for Archicad so actually as a user of archicad and don't have the autocad background ( glad to say that i never used autocad ) so i don't see it as a demand from my side . and if one guy who bought archicad need it , and he is coming from autocad and its not a big matter i don't think gs should change it and affect all the other users .but anyhow i think u can start a poll and vote for that in the wishes section in this forum ( if its not there already by someone else who didn't like the archicad offset )

thank you for sharing your idea
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes, neckofromsarajevo explained well what i meant,
according to what whatever said...i have to say that i use both softwares
and i think that if a software has a better use of a particular function
this could be a matter of improvement for other softwares...

many archicad users like me use many programs...and the perfect
program doesn't exist yet...
if you could offset a WALL with only one click your work will be faster.
thanks to everyone for replying my words.
__archiben
Booster
giova wrote:
if you could offset a WALL with only one click your work will be faster.
but it doesn't seem as though you can do that in autocad either? it seems to me that archicad's offset and multiple offset commands do what you want - you just enter the offset value after the command instead of before.

i have offset on a single-key shortcut: "O". so taking it real slowly . . .

• type 'O'
• SPACE-click any linear or polygon element you want to offset from (or draw/trace a path you want to offset from)
• make an initial move in the direction of the offset (there are always two of course)
• type the distance value.
• type ENTER

done.

the only difference i can see from your description is that the offset command stays on until you turn it off. i presume that if you need different offset distance you still have to keep setting that up before issuing the command anyway?
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
In archicad u can do this with multyply, and archicad offset comand cant do this
you know that there is a "Multiple Offset" command in archicad, right? is this what you mean?

i've seen this topic come up several times here on archicad-TALK but no one who wants the autocad offset has actually explained clearly just what the autocad command can do that the archicad one can't . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
i've seen this topic come up several times here on archicad-TALK but no one who wants the autocad offset has actually explained clearly just what the autocad command can do that the archicad one can't . . .
Personally coming from an AutoCAD background and also having used ArchiCAD for a while, I have to admit AutoCADs offset is still more flexible and faster.

I think the problem is threefold,

1 - You have to keep selecting the offset command/button every time you want to do an offset, even if repeatedly. How about making the offset command 'toggleable' ie it stays on until you do an esc.

2 - The offset tool 'forgets' the last distance you just typed into it. If you want to offset several objects by the same awkward number, eg 2.928, that don't touch, you have to repeatedly activate the offset command, hold down the space bar, select the object, type in the SAME awkward number, point it in the direction you want and click, for EVERY line.

In AutoCAD, because it remembers the distance and stays active, you just click on an object then click the side you want it, as many times as you want - much faster surely?

3 - It would be good if you didn't have you use the space bar either to 'magic wand' the object. If the offset tool stayed active until cancelled, your cursor should just highlight an object to select, then the direction.

There are features that are quite cool in the ArchiCAD offset tool, like being able to offset a whole string of lines/walls at the same time, but what do you do if you only want to offset a couple or even just one segment? (Thats a genuine question btw)

Basicly I feel the ArchiCAD way is just more 'clumsy' and 'fiddly' to do.

Does that help you understand the difference Ben?