Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 14 New Features

Dennis Lee
Booster
See what's on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Archicad#g/c/5C1926DD91A70C7B

Personally, not much in it for me at all!
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
310 REPLIES 310
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Dennis,
That's a fair comment on your part.
Well, let us see what they do next, now that these very crucial strategic developments (support for multi-processors, 64-bit systems, Teamwork and Open Collaboration) are complete (except 64-bit AC for Mac). Hopefully they will do something in the next version in this area as well.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Stress Co_
Advisor
Enrico wrote:
Just try and imagine them:

- "Mr Jack", CEO of Graphisoft, 45 years old, from somewhere around the world, somewhere more expensive than you think. Tall, handsome guy. Elegant. Black five degrees at Harvard, could not get the sixth one because of a witty joke he made about the Dean. Loves dogs too.

- "Joe", GS mailman. 64 years old, from Budapest. Job: picks up the mail, takes it to your desk. The mailman. He also happens to read this forum, from time to time.

I'd expect them to be something like:
In the spirit of keeping the mood light... Here is Enrico's Scene performed by xtra normal actors:
Lights, Camara, ACTION!
..and please except my apology for wasting a little over 7 minutes of your life.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
That was great and thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Visual GDL!

Anyone?
Rick Thompson
Expert
thank you Enrico, and also to Marc for making that manifest so I actually experienced it all... wow:) Great job:)
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
rjwilden
Booster
"laszlonagy" wrote:
Hi Richard,
I understand your point.
In my experience, there is a point from which it is worth using BIM.
In Hungary, you cannot earn a lot of money by designing residential buildings. I mean you get maybe 2-3-4 percent... And they are not willing to pay for Construction Documents, only Building Permit.
So building a full BIM Model does not pay off in such cases for us.

But there are other types of projects, middle, large and huge.
The bigger the project, the greater the importance of BIM and collaboration.
The method you write about just does not work above a certain project size. Or it takes a lot of time and energy and BIM collaboration will beat it.

This is true for today.

laszlonagy

Although I do mostly residential, some of the projects have been quite a challenge, and being able to build a fully developed model saved the client a lot of money, it enabled me to better understand the problems and give the engineer well thought through solutions, that worked.
It also enabled me to find and resolve a multitude of problems that could of otherwise been missed and not dealt with. This job, "hope you can see the image" was very difficult to model. However my simplistic collaboration with the engineer was still very effective. What would of helped, is better modeling capability, you've heard the grizzles.

I am a big fan of BIM, But I just see the development, that is useful to me having a very long pause. By the way Im a subscriber so, not upgrading in protest, is not an option. I have to say that we do get great support and some excellent tools with this subscription, via Cad Image. So its not all bad.

Regards Richard Wilden.
Will show more images in a separate post.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
rjwilden
Booster
[

Regards Richard Wilden.
Will show more images in a separate post.

Hi

This building had a domed earth roof with eyebrow dormers, all dug into a very deep cut in the side of a hill.
Not my idea, tried to get him to build something easier, but very stubborn.
The problems at junctions with curves meeting curves was very difficult to resolve. With some very complex details.
Note that the model was live and no patches or worksheets were used where it was too hard to model. Every piece of timber and steel is in its correct place. Image shows the dormer in its developed stage.

Regards Richard
Dunedin, New Zealand.
rjwilden
Booster
Try that again
And agin sorry image was too big

Regards Richard
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Visual GDL!
Anyone?"

OH YEH!!
I'd even quit complaining about stairpoop for that.
Promise!!

In regards to Richard comment on collaboration with engineer.

I'm micro small time but:
By the way, every engineer I've used for my residential remodeling projects has wanted the printed structural sheets to red line, even though
they have/do use Autocad to make up details for other clients.
They haven't wanted and refuse to use a dwg or a pdf for red lining.
Sometimes I can even give them 12x18" 1/8"scale for easy printing right
from my desktop.
Works great by the way.
I would think most single/small design firms are the same.
But I would also assume the larger projects/firms have a different take on this.
So IFC is a bust for me.
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lec:

I'm a one/two man show with two AC seats. I only have AC12 and the teamwork thing is way too cumbersome to use (although 13 is much improved I understand).

For my little projects I always give the structural guys dwg files and they do their stuff on my backgrounds. Nowadays, unless it is really small I no longer do any structural drawing. They seem happy with the dwgs I give them.

Don