Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad - More intelligent foreground and backgrounds

KeesW
Advocate
I wish that Archicad had much more intelligent default foreground and background presentations. Attached is an axonometric sketch of a deck from a carport to a house entry. The stairs sit ON the decking, and decking is laid OVER timber beams. A plan of the same deck as generated by Archicad is also attached. The stair is almost invisible and the decking is cluttered by the beams under. Why? Because existing Archicad presentation skills are too poor to realise that the stair is sitting on the decking and that the flooring sits over the beams. Surely, the default display should be that items on top of other items obscure those on the bottom. I've tried using the Display order to sort this out but it doesn't work. So what is so good about working in 3D to automatically produce clear 2D presentation drawings?

I think that I've raised this before. Archicad should, by default, relate display orders to the 3D situation. And it should offer the option to show the obscured elements in with dotted lines. Difficult for a CAD system? Perhaps, but not if it purports to be the best!

Front deck axonometric.JPG
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
2 REPLIES 2
KeesW
Advocate
And here is the second attachment. Plan is not clear is, it?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use layers to separate the items I don't want to see in the 2D plan. Sometimes a 2D line or two in plan is required. Scale of the 2D plan view also determines what layers are shown. Simple outlines for site plan, more detail for 1/4 " plan, more detail for larger scale. All layers are on for sections and elevations. This is where ArchiCAD excels.