Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad for Linux

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I think the linux market share will grow in 2005.
I usually work with OpenOffice 1.9, Mozzila, Gaim, Skype, Oracle 10g, GIMP 2.1, Blender, Dia, ArcGIS 9.0 software that run on windows and linux,
I would like to work with a version of Archicad for linux,

Now we only have Building Information Modeling (BIM) software in linux:
- ARCAD 90, from www.arcad.de - only in german i think
- BricsCad, (brings DWG to the LINUX community) beta version, from www.bricscad.com
and a old 2D Software - Microstation 95 for Linux
Does anybody know if there will be a linux version of archicad in 2005?

thanks,
Bernardino
153 REPLIES 153
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi I was wandering why is so dificult for graphisoft to create a linux version of archicad? why do they spent time on windows which is an unstable OS related to linux.
-Linux is faster-more stable than windows especialy for teamwork.
-It doesnt make stupid things like breaking up whithout a reason.
wont it be a + point if archicad could work also on linux. if I make no mistace macOS is based on freebsd "unix" so how dificult is to convert the code to linux which is also unix based?
stefan
Advisor
Check this discussion
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=36529
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
syber wrote:
hi I was wandering why is so dificult for graphisoft to create a linux version of archicad? why do they spent time on windows which is an unstable OS related to linux.
Just check the userbase for Windows and Linux...
MBPro Retina 2.7i7/16GB/SSD
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
stefan
Advisor
syber wrote:
-Linux is faster-more stable than windows especialy for teamwork.
-It doesnt make stupid things like breaking up whithout a reason.
wont it be a + point if archicad could work also on linux. if I make no mistace macOS is based on freebsd "unix" so how dificult is to convert the code to linux which is also unix based?
Windows XP is reasonably stable.
Linux is not faster by definition.
Linux has it's crashes.
MacOS might be 'unix'-based, but ArchiCAD is not per definition totally cross-platform. They have to do lot's of GUI stuff, which is allready completely different between Mac OS and Windows. ArchiCAD is a carbon-application on Mac and (AFAIK) a Win32 (not MFC) application on Windows.

I'm not the person who has the "real" information about how ArchiCAD's source is made, but from what I understand of the SDK, it's a cross-platform structure and two GUI layers. The translation of the first part might be doable (but it implies switching compilers and that could cause quite a few problems). The translation of the GUI stuff is either adding a third layer or migrating both the Mac and Windows layer into a cross-platform GUI toolkit, like Qt or wxWidgets or similar. This is not an obvious effort and a migration that is probably not backed by the commercial interest of many users.

Most Windows- and Mac-users won't give up their current workflow and application setup when ArchiCAD would switch to Linux. So I guess only a minor percentage would make the switch, which makes the transition probably very expensive.

Would you like to pay $20 000 for a Linux version of ArchiCAD?
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I fully agree with Stefan's points. It's a simple as that and it's not just about AC itself. We are using a lot of other software Win/Mac OS natively based, so what I am saying is I can not virtually imagine anyone (being almost purely in Win environment with our clients/consultants) who could handle Linux in the area of architecture (being an architect, knowing my colleagues attitude towards 'something' that handles that stuff with folders and clicking on icons) and provide a proper training of staff.

I think that there is no real (meaning corporate or bigger-ish company) interest in AC-Linux on the market at the moment which could drive GS to consider the 3rd platform.
::rk
MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Rob wrote:
I can not virtually imagine anyone (being almost purely in Win environment with our clients/consultants) who could handle Linux in the area of architecture
I agree. It's hard enough to use a Mac for architecture as there is no AutoCAD developed for OS X and ALL of the consultants use it... still, the benfits of the OS keep me using it, but in the future I might be forced to switch back to "the dark side".
MBPro Retina 2.7i7/16GB/SSD
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would love to see ArchiCAD running on Linux.
ArchiCAD not running on Linux is the only reason running M$ Windoze.

I will try to run ArchiCAD through CrossOver Office next week.
If that works nice, 6 workstations are switching to Linux.
stefan
Advisor
Steven wrote:
I would love to see ArchiCAD running on Linux.
ArchiCAD not running on Linux is the only reason running M$ Windoze.

I will try to run ArchiCAD through CrossOver Office next week.
If that works nice, 6 workstations are switching to Linux.
Please post us about your experiences.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I tried out ArchiCAD 9 on my linux box the other day.
Its running Ubuntu Hoary, and i have crossover office and cedega both installed.
I only tried for about an hour or so, but neither of them gave me any success, as they both bail out when the installer is trying to detect/install JAVA, right at the start of the install.
I'm currently upgrading to Breezy, and i will try getting archiCAD to go again once that is up and running.
The other main problem i can see coming is Archicad's dependence on Quicktime, which is still not even close to supported in Linux.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was googling about the issue because I was very interested on getting Archicad to work on Linux, and I found a post about a guy who got it working in 2003.

Here is the link.

http://tinyurl.com/chx4d