BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad for Linux

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I think the linux market share will grow in 2005.
I usually work with OpenOffice 1.9, Mozzila, Gaim, Skype, Oracle 10g, GIMP 2.1, Blender, Dia, ArcGIS 9.0 software that run on windows and linux,
I would like to work with a version of Archicad for linux,

Now we only have Building Information Modeling (BIM) software in linux:
- ARCAD 90, from www.arcad.de - only in german i think
- BricsCad, (brings DWG to the LINUX community) beta version, from www.bricscad.com
and a old 2D Software - Microstation 95 for Linux
Does anybody know if there will be a linux version of archicad in 2005?

thanks,
Bernardino
153 REPLIES 153
stefan
Expert
bswain1 wrote:
Linux would only help in that they could use all the above software I do for free and update everything for free.
You can use Gimp, Scribus, Inkscape and others also on OSX. Most of the widely popular Linux software suites are available for Windows and OSX as well. So if it is mostly for applications, then you can choose "any" OS.
bswain1 wrote:
Right now, I have a CAD production person who is trained in building technology, but she uses some software that doesn't save in any industry-standard CAD format. I told her to buy something at OfficeDepot or some other office supply store that does save in .DWG, .DXF or other. She wants to try the freeware on Linux and see how it works. That's just an example.
For 2D DWG drawing, the best options on Linux are BricsCAD, ARES and Draftsight (the last two are mostly the same software).
You can try QCad, but that is far from industry-standard compatible.

In fact, most CAD software uses the Open Design Alliance DWG libraries which are NOT Open Source and will not be available in ANY Open Source offering. They could be available in freeware.

Free as in Freeware is not the same as Free in Open Source !
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Due to future changes in Windows 8 and due to operating procedures by Apple, I throw my vote for a Linux port. So much so I would pay for another AC license for a Red Hat friendly install.

Barring that, I hope Graphisoft would cooperate with the opensource crowd and get Archicad running on Wine. I would give up substantial performance (make up for it with a powerful machine) if this were to happen.

Maybe create a $500-1000 dollar sur-charge to get a Wine license or something.

But I'm definitely willing to pay money for a Linux/Unix port, or Wine support.

And the beauty about a Linux port is it won't require four major rewrites to keep it maintained.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
...I throw my vote for a Linux port.
AC on Linux is not going to happen... and if you do not know why just search and read this forum.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
...I throw my vote for a Linux port.
AC on Linux is not going to happen... and if you do not know why just search and read this forum.

I originally had a different answer but I thought better of it. All I want to say is if a Linux or WINE port came around I would use and/or buy it.
Learn and get certified!