Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Automatic display of elements on stories/storeys

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am still trying to get my head around using multi-story elements such as walls - that is using the default setting of 'Show on / Link to stories - Automatic'

There seem to be a few weird or unexpected results or am I wrong?
  • The wall is assigned to the story of it's bottom reference level / absolute base height
    (even if it is only 1mm below the current story)

If you use the eyedropper/alt-click to load up the parameters of a wall the height of the wall is correctly set, but its bottom reference level / absolute base height is as follows:
    the element absolute base height + the height of the current story above the original element's story

If you adjust a standard wall's absolute base height it will be assigned to the story of it's new absolute base height

If you adjust a polygonal wall's absolute base height it will stay assigned to the original story it was assigned to

If you then turn off the Automatic story display it will then be no longer displayed on the story it relates to on plan, it will be assigned to its original story, but will not be displayed on it because it is above the story cut plane. It will however still exist in the 3D view.

If a wall above (but with it's absolute base height within the current story range) intersects with a multi-story wall in a different orientation from a single-story wall on the current storey, the mutistory wall intersects with the wall above not the wall displayed on the current story.
Am I right?

The eyedropper/alt-click is a bit of a problem. And the polygonal wall is a bug.
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you use the eyedropper/alt-click to load up the parameters of a wall the height of the wall is correctly set, but its bottom reference level / absolute base height is as follows:
the element absolute base height + the height of the current story above the original element's story

Exactly what I meant when posting a few days ago... The thing with the eyedropper is a real problem because it's against the basics of ArchiCAD : use the eyedropper to continue working with the same element / preferences / etc...

The display issues you quote, I can understand because AC 10 gets more and more intelligent "between" stories, however, it's strange to have disappearing lines of walls / corners / ... when there are faulty connections a few stories above...
afbeelding_1_932.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Joeri wrote:
... it's strange to have disappearing lines of walls / corners / ... when there are faulty connections a few stories above...
You are right, that is a frustration with them, in fact it was while I was struggling to resolve some of the missing bits of walls from the intersections above that I found the missing polygon wall bug and the alt+click eyedropper bug.

It seems to be a bit hit and miss at to whether the wall intersections display correctly for multi-storey elements. I had some missing triangles from wall intersections on the ground floor even though the wall intersections on the first floor were correct, again this seems to occur only if the wall above has its absolute base height set to within the current story's range.

I will add this to the original list if I can.

It's a case of 5 steps forward two steps back, understanding what causes the problems at least helps avoid them.