Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Barrel Vault SEO-no go

Tom Krowka
Booster
Have two barrel vaults intersecting. They are made from beam profiles, which is quick and easy. However, can't seem to get the SEO intersection quite right. Have attached a snapshot of the closest I can come; done with a substraction with downwards extrusion. Have tried every other operation, nothing seems to mitre the common angles as one would expect. The vaults are four inches thick, they have trim attached at the bottom as part of the profile.
Any comments?

WKA barrel vault no go seo.jpg
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
23 REPLIES 23
Tom Krowka
Booster
The method from the GDL book works great. Thanks to all.

However, it still seems to me that if the profile is a beam, it should clean up automatically at intersections.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Tom wrote:
Regarding your product and cutting tool in reference to the intersection of the two vaults: I think that would be the hardest part of the process. How would I be able to tell, in 3d, with a split tool, where the two vaults would intersect. It seems it would difficult to trace that line.
No problem - you can cut the intersection in the plan view. In this case, because the cross-vaults are the same size, it is simply 45 degree cuts across the profile.
intersect.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Barry Kelly
Tom wrote:
Can't find it in the US library......
I just checked the INT version and it is in the same place as I showed earlier in the AUS library.
Sorry I don't have the US version to check.

I can understand why some objects in the libraries are different (not this one though).

And why is it so hard to get the libraries for the different countries?
I had to download the whole demo installer for the INT version to get it.
Just trying to download a US version out of interest.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
I just checked out the USA version and that library is set out completely differently to the AUS and INT versions.
Rather than posting the vault objects here and possibly getting into trouble I suggest you just download the trail version and choose the INT flavour rather than the USA one.
When installing it just amend the installation folder path and you won't upset your current version.
Then you will have access to the INT library.

It won't even upset your current work environment or other preferences so long as you install it to a different folder.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11