Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Beginner

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Line vs. object: When you xref autocad dwgs. into archicad does archicad recognize the lines as objects or will I have trace over the autocad line dwg. with the archicad object tools, like the wall tool, etc..? For example I have a completed autocad roof plan dwg. will I still have to use the roof tool or will archicad recognize the roof lines as a roof in 3d? And what about a floor plan from autocad?

2. Time & Money: Is it worth it to convert in-progress projects that are at CD phase in autocad or is it better to import projects that are only at schematic or design development?

3. Do you know of any refence books or in the manuals that references the importing autocad to archicad process?

Additional information beyond my questions is welcome.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
1. If you want AC to replace line drawings, take a look into Plan2Model. ArchiCAD will not do this for you on its own.

2. Keep your existing projects in their current form, until you know a little more about AC.

3. Additional information is needed from you as well...Typical to ArchiCAD Talk, list your specs in your signature. Include OS, RAM, ArchiCAD version...This will allow us to guide you through most problems you come across...
Karl Ottenstein
sng29 wrote:
3. Do you know of any refence books or in the manuals that references the importing autocad to archicad process?
I've never seen a copy of the book, but "ArchiCAD for AutoCAD Users" ($25 from amazon.com) is probably worth taking a look at? (Anyone who read it have any comments?)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
What AutoCAD is your file made in? I have the GDL Object Adapter 2.0 for AutoCAD installed with my ADT 3.3 and it works great for getting the 3D AutoCAD stuff into ArchiCAD and vis-versa.
http://www.gdlalliance.com/Tools/adaptertool.html

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
sng29 wrote:
I've never seen a copy of the book, but "ArchiCAD for AutoCAD Users" ($25 from amazon.com) is probably worth taking a look at? (Anyone who read it have any comments?)

Karl
I have seen it and it's quite good.

It was written by a friend of mine (Geoffrey Langdon) who is one of the few people with working knowledge of most CAD softwares. He is quite proficient at both ArchiCAD and AutoCAD and has been teaching both at university for some time now.

It is definitely worth the modest price.