cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Black Background

Anonymous
Not applicable
does anyone know how to change the background colour of the display from white to black. thanks.
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable
Olivier wrote:
Djordje wrote:
Don't.
Ted, do you write or draw on black paper?
Difficult to get rid of Autocad habits.
Using a black background limits some of the functionality of the program. I have some clients who still insist on it so I have had to figure out ways for them to make do.

The biggest problem is that using fills to mask other elements is more difficult since the mask fill must be white in order not to print. This means that you can only (realistically) set the background pens to the drawing background or transparent and not use the elements own pens (white fills on a black background is about the worst working environment I can imagine).

It is also much easier while working in ArchiCAD to see the drawings as they will ultimately appear. This makes it much easier to control the quality of the final output.

BTW: I have worked enough with both that I know my opinion is not just based on familiarity. If I had found the black background easier to work with I would have stuck with it. As it was, I found that I could get the same results from both but it is much easier to work with an off-white background. (I find white is a little better than black, but off-white has the major advantage of showing the white background fills without being unbearable to look at.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I started with white background, then switched to gray and finally to black.

Though I admit that black limits functionality to some extent, my eyes feel much better with black and do not get tired. I also usually set my monitor to the lowest visible brightness/contrast values - in this way I get black background and non-bright lines, fills are usually dark gray.

Perhaps when I buy a large LCD monitor I will change my mind ...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our office has always used a black background since I have been here (1998). I am hearing some reasons here to re-examine that. I am sure familiarity and qualitative positions have been a large part of the decision. But, I also remember that when I worked for Intergraph in the early 1990's, their UNIX-based MicroStation installations all deployed the black background. Isn't there some consideration for phosphors and LCD longevity too?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ted wrote:
Our office has always used a black background since I have been here (1998). I am hearing some reasons here to re-examine that. I am sure familiarity and qualitative positions have been a large part of the decision. But, I also remember that when I worked for Intergraph in the early 1990's, their UNIX-based MicroStation installations all deployed the black background. Isn't there some consideration for phosphors and LCD longevity too?
In the VERY old days workstations drew their lines as actual vectors on the phosphorescent screen; much as pen plotters drew lines by dragging pens across the paper. White was not even an option. This habit stuck despite the radical improvement in monitors.

The early screens also suffered from "burn-in" if the same image was left on for too long (remember the early ATMs?).

These issues have been long dead for modern monitors. I have never had a CRT burn-in before the machine itself just gave up. LCDs have no problems with burn-in, and their longevity seems to be greater than the electronics that drive them. The only LCD replacements that I have seen were due to physical damage.

Using a black background to save the screen will have no measurable value since the equipment will die of other causes or become obsolete first.

The one strong argument for the black background is Kliment's. If you find it easier on your eyes, then that is probably more important than the advantages of the off-white.

Of course, if the CRT is refreshing at 60Hz it could just be the flicker that is causing the irritation. I find that even a good CRT at 75Hz is more taxing to look at than an LCD.
Djordje
Ace
Ted wrote:
Djorde, why the strong opinion?(Guess my background color...)
It is counter productive.

The black background is a relict from 16 color displays, when having anything else would blind you in a week. Plus, in AutoCAD the color of the line is still not anything else except a pen weight guideline.

In ArchiCAD, it is as WYSIWYG as possible - you don't have to go white, make it a light gray. If you feel the strain on your eyes, it might be the ergonomics of your workplace, not the white background in ArchiCAD.

heck, even PaperSpace has white background! I wonder why?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Talking about eyes-saving: take a look at my WindowsExplorer background colours! I use the same at home and at the office.

Monitors are good enough nowadays, but it's always better to take extra care for how your eyes feel better. I use a Samsung 19'' SyncMaster 959NF at the office and some 19" Compac at home but it's quite better when you spend a 8-hour working day in front of a LCD.
Djordje
Ace
kliment wrote:
Monitors are good enough nowadays, but it's always better to take extra care for how your eyes feel better. I use a Samsung 19'' SyncMaster 959NF at the office and some 19" Compac at home but it's quite better when you spend a 8-hour working day in front of a LCD.
As you said, keeping the contrast and brightness down, and, even more important, taking care of the lighting (where are the windows? Does any lapm glare into your screen? Is the fluo lighting on - a BIG nono!) and your position is more important than any background color.

Ask yourselves the following:

Which OTHER software except AutoCAD and Microstation has the default black background and why?

Which non-CAD related software has the default black background?

Tha days of phosporus and 9" screens are looong gone ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry if I'm missing the point, but I would like to know in case I could be working more efficiently:

Why not work with a black background, why is this method counter-productive?

Our office still uses AutoCAD LT now and then, but even if we weren't, I find the that lineweight guide from using different pen colours is invaluable, also for identifying different overlapping elements on screen.

For WYSIWYG - well that's what PlotMaker is for, isn't it? That's the 'drawing' on paper. ArchiCAD is the model in space.

Instead of looking at other examples of software and noting 'they use white - so should we', can someone explain what limitations I have from using a black background.

I would be very happy to be persuaded why white is the new black!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, most people I know are using off-white (grey, buff, ivory, whatever).

This allows non-printing (white) lines and fills to show up without being jarring (white on black may be good for formal attire, but it really sucks to look at on screen).

I also find the light background much better to review line weights (with true weight turned on in the display options). I prefer to get the drawings right while I am working on them in ArchiCAD than to review them later in PlotMaker.

Finally, I am strongly opposed to using pen assignment solely to signify line weight. In the building model I find it to be far more useful (in too many ways to go into right now) to assign pen numbers to specific functions. For example, pen 1 = section outlines, pen 2 = section fills, pen 3 = doors & windows (primary pen), etc... (Anyone who has been to one of my seminars knows my whole spiel on this.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
StuartJames wrote:
large cross-hair via menu/options/preferences/autocad-settings/display
Where is this OPTION? (Just to Try It)
Thanks,
Joseph