cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

COBie

Gordons
Newcomer
Does anyone have an insight into the failings of ArchiCAD in the 2013 COBie Challenge where we were left miles behind Revit and Bentley in the test?
My understanding is that the Archicad submitted data may have contained more omissions that were interpreted by the judging system as errors and a corresponding time penalty applied.
The conclusions of the test suggested that a Revit produced COBie file would take 9 minutes work to bring it up to the COBie standard and the Archicad one would take 8 hours.
The Revit guys are understandably crowing about this.
We could do with an explanation from Graphisoft.
I am currently trying to convince my employer to adopt ArchiCAD and not Revit but their main concern is one of compatibility and statistics like the COBie Challenge result are not helping me.
5 REPLIES 5
Eduardo Rolon
Read the same comment but can't seem to find the original link were the "excuse" was given.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
I think this was it.

http://revitall.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/autodesk-wins-buildingsmart-cobie-challenge/
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Reading the post it seems to me that it gives the explanation of what happened and why was there such a huge difference:
Well, although the official press-releases don’t mention it, the initial pilot project that the vendors were require to model was particularly difficult. Apparently, given this was a mock project, many of the parameters were left blank by some participants, and actually marked for completion by the “end-user” as would be the case in a real-world scenario.

These were then interpreted by the buildingSMART judges as errors, and penalties applied. According to a source, all submissions made this type of error, however in the case of the Graphisoft submission, this error was replicated many times throughout the project file – thus accounting for the large penalty difference.
I will be very curious about the next Challenge results.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Just to follow myself up, here is the next year's (2014) result:

http://www.nibs.org/?page=bsa_chall14_gs

So ArchiCAD this time gave a 100% result with zero errors (you can see that in the table towards the end of the above linked web page).

Also, it is worth noting that at this moment ArchiCAD is certified for both IFC Import and Export, while Revit is certified for export, but not for import:

http://www.buildingsmart.org/certification/currently-certified-software-products
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure how they can justify import? Lights, ceilings, stairs (this I probably could let go) glazing systems, some walls, all Mechanical and some windows and doors are brought in as non intelligent Objects or Morphs.