Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Colored elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

What I'm trying to do here, is have a colored elevation of a 3D modeled building. I couldn't get the colors to appear on the elevation (shadows yes, 3D hatching yes, but no colors). What I've done is render the thing in a parallel view (hence elevation), saved it as a Plotmaker file (can't save it otherwise while keeping the object info), imported it in Plotmaker to open the PMK and copy-pasted it back into ArchiCAD. The problem is that I get 6400 fills that are all degenerated, and are all different from the PMK.

The point behind this is to paste together all the color elevations from a bunch of building made by different companies to end up with a streetscape of the whole block.

Thoughts anyone?
19 REPLIES 19
Petros Ioannou
Booster
I am not sure I quite understood what you are looking for but copying from a 3d (elevation) window using the 2d marquee option gives you some options about shadows, polygons etc. Then you can paste them inside a section. It is the old method we used before the introduction of shadows etc inside the section tool. BUT it only works with the internal engine and not OpenGL so in case you need textures or something more than one colour fills this cannot help you.
I think that Cigraph's ArchiRuler can add textures inside fill areas in such a 2d drawing.
http://www.cigraph-store.com/html/home/DESCRIPTION/ARuler2.htm

If you want colour accuracy don't forget to use the RAL addon or even better (if you own it) the NCS colour addon.
www.ncscolour.com

petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
COLOURED PLANS - THE SECRET REVEALED!I HAVE BEEN PRODUCING COLOURED ELEVATIONS/SECTIONS REGULARLY FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS WITH FANTASTIC RESULTS.
THIS IS HOW I GO ABOUT IT.

This is the method that I use to generate coloured plans directly from the Model.
There is no cutting or pasting required.
Although it is a very simple process, it took over two years to discover the ‘secret’ of how to go about it, and this technique has now transformed the humble working drawings into a virtual work of art. It reminds me of when you walk into an old building and see an old set of plans framed on the wall touched up with water paints.

I use the technique to highlight parts of the building that are to be –• Painted
• Rendered
• Door & Window frames and components
• Glass
• Library parts
• Surfaces that are to be given some sort of flat colour for highlighting
1. Slab or roof edge
2. Barge board, fascia
3. Roof accessory – metal barge roll

TIPS VECTORIAL 3D HATCHING: This increases generation time of Section/Elevations, so I do not turn this on (see Section/Elevation Tool) until final check plot stage.
• VECTORIAL SUN SHADOWS: I also generate Shadows on the Elevations for increased ‘relief’ of these 2D drawings (Section/Elevation Tool). I normally set the Sun at 45deg or –45deg Azimuth and between 30 and 45deg Altitude, rather than a specific time of day. My intention is to enhance the readability of the drawings, not particularly to do a Sun Study. Sometimes I will do a Sun Study shadow on the North side only (southern hemisphere dwellers). I turn Shadows on when doing the final Elevation generation, as it does take longer to generate. I find a lighter grey for shadows looks good when working in with the medium grey on the windows, and does not overwhelm the finished elevation. Another benefit of shadows is that I believe it is easier to ‘read’ the drawing, and gives it a certain depth that otherwise is lacking.
• GLAZING: I generally use a medium to dark grey. Note that you need to have the opening lines in a much darker grey or black or they will be difficult to see. Alternatively, if the glazing is dark enough, you can use white for the opening lines/arrows (usually a little thicker line weight is better), and try dashed as well, as it stands out nicely. I have also used dashed white with heavy black arrowhead successfully.
• PRINTER: I use an Epson 3000 Colour printer. Virtually all of my work is on A2 paper
• INK COLOUR: The line work of all my Section/Elevations are in colour.

PROS • Greatly enhances the readability of the drawings
• Better documentation = increased fees – literally!
• Clarity of plans for builder and subcontractors reduces the ‘allowance’ factor from unclear drawings and more information provided; i.e. 3D views
• Sensational finished Working Drawings puts you ahead of your competitive opposition
• Hopefully, all of the ‘cons’ are offset by the ‘pros’!

CONS
• Vectorial 3d Hatching increases Section/Elevation generation time
• Vectorial Sun Shadows increases Section/Elevation generation time
• Increased set up time both setting up materials and nominating materials (colours) to elements
• Ink costs

THE METHOD
1. Pens & Colours - Open up Option > Pens & Colours.
2. Customised Colours - If you do not have the required colour you need for a certain element, you need to create it in the Pens & Colours Dialogue Box. I have a number of spare pens left white so I simply double click on one of these and customise the colour I need. If you do not have enough of a range in your standard Pens & Colours Dialogue Box, you may need to do this a few times.
3. Materials – Click on Options > Materials > Expert.
4. Create New Material – Click on any material (or one with a similar name to your proposed new material), and then click on Duplicate. Type in the new name and OK.
5. Material - 3D Hatching ‘Solid Fill’ – In the main Materials Dialogue Box under 3D Hatching (bottom of the dialogue box), select Solid Fill. Note: It must be Solid Fill NOT Empty Fill. This is the critical factor to the whole thing! Only a Solid Fill will show on the Section/Elevation as a solid colour.
6. Material - 3D Hatching ‘Custom Colour’ – Click the Custom Colour radio button (below Element Pen) with the little pen icon next to it.
7. Material - 3D Hatching ‘Pen Colour’ – Now click on the Pen Colour button and select the custom colour in the Pens & Colours Dialogue Box you previously created (or other colour if desired). Check now to see that the solid colour has been applied to the Material by looking at the right hand side of the Material button at the very top of the Material Settings Dialogue Box. Where there was either no window, an empty window or a Fill pattern, you should now see the little window turn solid black. This confirms you have correctly followed the steps. OK and exit. NOTE: It is always solid black little preview box regardless of what colour you select for the material.
8. Apply Material to Model – Select the entity on model you wish to apply the Material to; Wall, roof edge, WC, Window glass etc. and apply the material(s). Apply as many as you wish.
9. Section/Elevation Tool Settings – Open the Section/Elevation Tool > Set your Horizontal and Vertical Ranges. Click the main Vectorial 3D Hatching and Sun Shadows button to open settings and tick the Vectorial 3D Hatching and Sun Shadows boxes on. (The Sun Shadows is not required for coloured plans, but is used to enhancing purposes – see TIPS)
10. Section/Elevation Tool – Place the Section/Elevation mark on your plan view. For a quick method to open the Section/Elevation, hold your cursor on the Section/Elevation Mark and right mouse click (there is no need to select it first and then right mouse click as that is an extra click every time, times ten thousand per year). Open and enjoy!
11. Printing in PlotMaker – When the Section/Elevation is imported into PlotMaker, select the Section/Elevation, right mouse click > Drawing Settings > Show on Layout > Vectorial Colour Preview. This will display the Section/Elevation in colour just as you see it in ArchiCAD. At this point in time I have found no way to switch off the full colour for check plots. The Options > Preferences > Miscellaneous > Fill Background Colour does not affect the colour on the surface of the models element, only the colours in cut elements can be switched on or off.
12. Moving The Section/Elevation Marker Line – I have found that sometimes the Section/Elevation Marker Line may need to be moved a fraction to regenerate the Section/Elevation and update the colours on the Section/Elevations. Don’t know why this is, but just is!

Experiment, try different colours for glazing, green or blue tints look interesting. I have used a pitch-black glass on the Existing portion of our 1882 Railway Gatehouse building and the medium grey on the Proposed. Looks great and it helps to visually distinguish the new from the old.

Enjoy and wait for those ‘oos and aahhs’! They are pleasant to the soul and much deserved for any job well done!

PS – If Djordje has any suggestions on where I could email a PDF or similar for general viewing of a finished set of Section/Elevations, I am more than happy to help.

NOTE: This format was written with ArchiCAD v7, but the process have changed only in PlotMaker in regards to displaying colours - I think!
Coloured Elev Example 01.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
COLOURED PLANS
Just when you thought you had covered everything!

The same principle goes for applying fills to roofs (metaldeck, tiles...), walls (brick, stone...) and the like.

You can't have a solid background with a fill colour over (typically like a blue tile background with grey lines for floor tile joints in wet areas).

It can only be a Fill pattern.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As alternative to *.pmk files or Copy/Past options can also be AC's *.2dl extension
Tim Ball
Expert
Here is a rendered elevation, drawn to scale, and placed into Plotmaker. The file size is a bit big, but if this is what you are trying to achieve, then here is how to do it:

Make a mesh or slab base to the model to a known square dimension, say 50mx50m

Set up a 3D window as an elevation view and place the sun in the correct location to get your shadows right. Save it as a view in navigator.

If you want to generate a rendering at say 1:100, set the 3D rendering window size to 500mm and note what pixel size that comes out at.

Render the view and save it as a bitmap image

Load the bitmap as a hotlink into Plotmaker and make sure that the frame size is the same pixel size as the original. Then crop the window to suit your layout.

Plot the finished drawing, but do a double check using a scale to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything.

You will obviously need to re-render the elevation when you make changes to the model, but as long as you keep the bitmap file name the same, working from the saved view, then Plotmaker will update it when you next reload.

I hope that helps.

Tim Ball
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Tim Ball
Expert
File didn't attach, it's probably too large.

If you are interested, I will email it to you.

Tim Ball

tim@timothyball.co.uk
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laurence

Nice work, well explained. I have tried this technique (or at least someting very similar) a number of times, and while for the most part you get excellent results, there always seems to be a few glitches. Things like discrepancies between shadows and fills (eg. roof casting shadows on weatherboard or brick walls) where shadow displays but not fill pattern. Also shadows can cover half of your line, so instead of getting a 0.5mm line at the end of a wall, the section that is not in shadow is o.k. but the shaded section has a line weight of only 0.25. I usually go over things like this with a line, brought to the top, but I feel this shouldn't really be necessary. These things don't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying.
Another technique I have used (again with mixed results) is for a glazed balcony balustrade, put the glass on a layer that displays as wireframe on the elevations, you can then see detail behind the glass, and the glass outline (this did, however, obscure the fill pattern on the walls behind).
Hope this helps someone, and the glitches get fixed for the next version.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the method that I use to generate coloured plans directly from the Model.
There is no cutting or pasting required.
Although it is a very simple process, it took over two years to discover the ‘secret’ of how to go about it, and this technique has now transformed the humble working drawings into a virtual work of art.

About a similar discussion see also the following link:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=42362&highlight=jaime+neto#42362
Anonymous
Not applicable
Z.Bauer wrote:
As alternative to *.pmk files or Copy/Past options can also be AC's *.2dl extension
What is a .2dl extension ?
Can you be more specific about the use of this technique?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jaime wrote:
Z.Bauer wrote:
What is a .2dl extension ?
Can you be more specific about the use of this technique?
Generate 3D in AC File menu>Save as... Choose "ArchiCAD 2D extension *.2dl" <|

It's nothing more as 2d drawing file, like pmk. And it's a big question in wich specific situations is .2dl great extension