Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Colored elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

What I'm trying to do here, is have a colored elevation of a 3D modeled building. I couldn't get the colors to appear on the elevation (shadows yes, 3D hatching yes, but no colors). What I've done is render the thing in a parallel view (hence elevation), saved it as a Plotmaker file (can't save it otherwise while keeping the object info), imported it in Plotmaker to open the PMK and copy-pasted it back into ArchiCAD. The problem is that I get 6400 fills that are all degenerated, and are all different from the PMK.

The point behind this is to paste together all the color elevations from a bunch of building made by different companies to end up with a streetscape of the whole block.

Thoughts anyone?
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nevermind, I solved my own problem... =o)

Instead of copy-pasting it back into ArchiCAD, I simply published the page in DWG, then opened it in ArchiCAD. Perfect!

Luc
Aussie John
Newcomer
I've often wished for the elevation tool to produce coloured drawings. It is kinda rediculous for a CAD application that can produce full photorealistic renderings and cant produce coloured elevations without export/import.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
What do you guys mean by colored elevations?

You can go a long way just assigning a solid fill to your materials. Attached is an example I created in about 5 minutes. Is this what you mean? I guess if you want hatching too, it could be less automated.

Cheers,
Link.
Sample Elevation.jpg
Aussie John
Newcomer
I remember trying that - solid fills but didnt get any result like that!!!
Obviously was doing something wrong.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yeah I'm sorry - the colours are pretty ghastly!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not like having it in the Section window, but you can create colored, shaded elevations (with shadows if you like) by using presets 3D views. Since these are usually for schematic design presentation, a few annotations in PlotMaker are usually all that are needed so it is not necessary to import back into ArchiCAD.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Luc

The 'official' method is to view the model as an elevation in the 3d Shaded view (with contours on)

Using the maquee tool (the 'flat' marquee at the right end of the marquee draw methods) select the whole model, copy, choose your options from the dialog, go to your floor plan and paste.

This way you can get fills, shadows, lines and hatches. Group them and shift into position.

I hope this is clear.

regards
Djordje
Ace
Bill wrote:
The 'official' method is to view the model as an elevation in the 3d Shaded view (with contours on)

Using the maquee tool (the 'flat' marquee at the right end of the marquee draw methods) select the whole model, copy, choose your options from the dialog, go to your floor plan and paste.

This way you can get fills, shadows, lines and hatches. Group them and shift into position.
The other way is to make the same parallel views of the OpenGL 3D window (textures on), and overlay them in PlotMaker with the standard elevation views that can have hatching and shadows; the only problem there might be resizing and fitting.

Alternatively, you can fill in the elevation (use the fills to your liking) and even put the sky behind; see the topic on filling and outlining elevations in Tips&Tricks and on ArchiGuide.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Tim Ball
Expert
I create photo realistic rendered elevations, then work out the scale accurately by calculating the number of pixels in relation to a know base line - say the base mesh. That way you can place photo rendered elevations to scale in plotmaker.
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5