Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Combining files into one

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I'm a new user of Archicad, just finished an introductory course, so I'll appreciate an in depth feedback on this!!

I've made three buldings in Archicad, each one a seperate file...

Now, I'd like to combine them on one site, but I don't know how to copy them and combine them in one file. Is this possible to do? What happens to the different story settings when this is done?

I hope there is a simple solution!

Thanks,

Haavard
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a rather complex topic, but you should probably take a look in the reference guide or help menu for the topic "hotlink". This will describe how you can hotlink the 2 other files into the 3rd one.
David Pacifico
Booster
It depends on how you want to use this file.
If it is just for visualizing the buildings on the site, you could save the buildings as an object and then place them on a site plan.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
It depends on how you want to use this file.
If it is just for visualizing the buildings on the site, you could save the buildings as an object and then place them on a site plan.
When saving the "Building" in the plan view as an object, you need to save each story as a separate object.

Also when saving the object it assigns an A & B dimension to the object for the Bounds of the object in the x & y directions. If you later modify the object and increase or decrease the imaginary x & y bounds, and then re-save the object using the same name the object will shrink or stretch to "fit" into the original x and y bounding area ( the A & B dimension of the object. I have found it best to save the original object with Hotspots out a fair distance from the object. this way the A and B dimensions are set by the hotspots and I can re-save over the object as long as I am within the original Hotspots.

This was confusing for me to write and I am sorry if I may have confused others.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:
When saving the "Building" in the plan view as an object, you need to save each story as a separate object.
Not if you save it from the 3D window. I've been doing this since version 4 and it still works a charm in the right situations.
Barry Kelly
Jay wrote:
Also when saving the object it assigns an A & B dimension to the object for the Bounds of the object in the x & y directions. If you later modify the object and increase or decrease the imaginary x & y bounds, and then re-save the object using the same name the object will shrink or stretch to "fit" into the original x and y bounding area ( the A & B dimension of the object. I have found it best to save the original object with Hotspots out a fair distance from the object. this way the A and B dimensions are set by the hotspots and I can re-save over the object as long as I am within the original Hotspots.

This was confusing for me to write and I am sorry if I may have confused others.
Jay,
Have you tried setting the "Store fixed values" button on.
Found in the "Details" button in the parameters of the object when opened for editting.
This affects whether the object resizes or not when the default A & B sizes are altered.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Found in the "Details" button in the parameters of the object when opened for editting.
This affects whether the object resizes or not when the default A & B sizes are altered.
Actually in this case you want the other setting, "Store the ratios...". This will cause the building object to automatically adjust to any changes in the default parameters of the source. The hotspot trick will also work for buildings saved story by story from the plan view, but not for a whole building saved from the 3D window.
Barry Kelly
Matthew wrote:
Barry wrote:
Actually in this case you want the other setting, "Store the ratios...". This will cause the building object to automatically adjust to any changes in the default parameters of the source. The hotspot trick will also work for buildings saved story by story from the plan view, but not for a whole building saved from the 3D window.
Sorry I was thinking back to front.
Of course you want the object to change size so you do want "Store the ratios...".

I usually come across this problem where I don't want the existing objects to change size if I have reset the default A & B sizes.
Then you want "Store fixed values".

Sorry for the mix up.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:

Actually in this case you want the other setting, "Store the ratios...".
That did it. I need to call back to the Tech guys at GSUS and tell them this. They like me were stumped..... Thank you Tech Matthew and honorable mention to Barry.

One thing, that I did notice though, is that if the Detail setting of the object is changed to "Store the ratios..." before re-saving the object, the newly modified and saved object, while keeping the proper proportions, will default back to a "Store fixed values" kind of object. So, if plan are that the object may just slightly change again)when do projects not change...), then I must remember to change the object detail value each time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Jay wrote:
Not if you save it from the 3D window. I've been doing this since version 4 and it still works a charm in the right situations.
Just gave this a go, and it is nice and easy. But........ for my case I need to save from the Plan window. I really only save just on floor any way since I am just adding the "house" object to a Site plan pln that is just for "flat drawings". saving the object in the plan view allows the object to contain 2D text information and even slab and F.F. Elevations from the house pln.

To view the complete house on the site this is actually done back in the "house" pln file in which I have a "Site" module file linked within the datum story of the project.

Thanks for clarifying the ability to save from the 3D window.