cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex profile Opening Reference Line problem

Barry Kelly
Now that we have modifiers in complex profiles in version 22, I am starting to set up some more useful profiles.
However I have come across a problem that I am hoping may be controlled by a setting I am missing.
Otherwise it is a rather obvious bug that I can't believe ahas not been noticed.

I have a complex profile wall that has a wider base with a thinner wall above (my example here is exaggerated to show it clearer).
In 3D, the widow reveal offset follows the Opening Reference Line position in the profile.
This is perfect.

However in plan the wall must be shown as 'Projected with Overhead' (rather than 'Symbolic') which means the Floor Plan Cut Plane height comes into play.
If the FPCP is set to a height lower that the recessed wall, then the windows all offset from the face of that wall - this is OK if my Opening Reference Line is at this position.
But as soon as the FPCP height is higher than the bottom brickwork, the windows in plan all offset from the recessed brickwork and not where the Opening Reference Line position is (which is the front of the lower wall.

The attached image will show it better.
Am I missing a setting somewhere so the plan view uses the Opening Reference Line as set in the complex profile?
Isn't this what should be happening?
Shouldn't the 2D view be matching the 3D view.

This was tested with default Graphisoft template and standard window in version 22.
I also tested in version 18 and it was the same.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
14 REPLIES 14
Ben Cohen
Advocate
Hi Barry

My office has been using complex walls for over a decade. This has never been a major issue for us.
We have always been able to change the anchor point of the window to 'sill' for the fix.

I have taken a series of screen shots... Note the floor plan view does not change - windows are set to symbolic. Also.. if I change the opening reference line in the profile manager my window WILL react and move accordingly.

Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Barry Kelly
Hi Ben,
I am not having trouble with the 3D position of the window.
Make sure your Opening Reference Lines extend up beyond the limit of the complex profile.
I discovered that They do not stretch with the profile so you need to allow for that when you save the profile.

You can even add nodes and shape the line so that is follows the profile of the wall.
The only problem with this is the modifiers can't be applied to the opening line so it won't stretch with the profile.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
As I mentioned my problem is not with the 3D position but the plan position.
It seems the symbolic view (which I need) locks onto the first skin that is cut by the Floor Plan Cutting Plane.
The window anchor seems to have no effect on the plan view.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Ben Cohen
Advocate
Right Barry. I see the issue now...

I vaguely remember this happening on a job... years ago...

I guess you must have a base model that needs this fixed?

Its unusual to have a long standing issue where the floor plan and 3d are disconnected. Even if its rare....
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
dlv
Participant

Since nobody really answered your question, and I ran into the same problem on Archicad v25 which has the same problem (for me). This is how I solved it. I placed an Awning window 6 feet off the finished floor inside of a Complex Profile wall, in plan the window has a reveal of 3.5 inches, but in 3D the window was offset into the interior by more than 6 inches. When I decreased the elevation of this window to less than 2 feet, the window would pop back into the correct reveal of 3.5 inches in both 3D and Plan view. This bizarre behavior was repeated on any door or window in that same Complex Profile wall. What did I do? Used another complex profile, and abandoned the one causing the problem. I had lots of work on that Complex Profile and did not want to create another Complex Profile wall, as this problem cropped up deep into my CD process, and modeling backwards was time consuming.

This is a BUG for sure, and I studied the Complex Profile in EDIT mode and could not find what was wrong. Maybe it was during conversion when this model was imported from V22 or when I updated to v24 then to v25. Who knows. I hope this solution helps someone else.