BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Composite wall joints

Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Before I formulate a wish or poll question I want to get the opinion of anyone who cares about the way composite walls join and clean-up.

Currently, unless the composite cores are defined with the same fill, the sheathing is not broken but travels past the joint. This is contrary to standard building practice and so seems totally illogical.

In common practice two different core structures frequently meet with the finish cladding applied after. A typical US example is an uninsulated 2x4 stud wall butting into an insulated 2x6 exterior stud wall. My screen shots illustrate this example.

And while I'm on the subject, why is this functionality limited to walls in plan? Shouldn't we expect the same type of thing in section where the structural core of a slab would clean up with that of a wall, and a wall would properly join a roof? It sure would save a lot of patching.

Wall joint now.png
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
14 REPLIES 14
Dave Jochum
Advocate
I'm in complete agreement with Geoff's original post. In the composites setup one should be able to select which skins continue through intersections. It is not the case that only the core should continue. Here in earthquake country (California) it is quite common for sheathing to continue past wall joints (for a shear panel), but of course one would never continue gyp. bd. through.

With regard to placement of the ref. line--When drawing as-builts from field measurements, I place the ref. line at the interior face of walls, since that is what was measured. All new walls are placed with the ref. line at whichever face of the core (framing) is appropriate.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Regarding Dave's thought on having multiple unbroken skins as in shearwalls, I completely agree. The Composite Structures dialog box already offers all the control needed for this. Just designate any number of adjacent skins as Cores and they would be unbroken at intersections. Simple.
Link wrote:
Geoff's original problem is a nuisance, and needs to be addressed, but it can be worked around using the adjust command.
Link, could you please elaborate.

Meanwhile, ignoring the reference line debate for the moment, the poll has been posted at http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=848

Thanks for the constructive input.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Geoff

All I meant was that you can manually adjust the wall to touch the core, by using the 'adjust' command in the edit menu. Not automatic, but as I said, it can be achieved if necessary.

Now how the heck does one actually cast a vote in these polls?

Cheers,
Link.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Geoff wrote:
Regarding Dave's thought on having multiple unbroken skins as in shearwalls, I completely agree. The Composite Structures dialog box already offers all the control needed for this. Just designate any number of adjacent skins as Cores and they would be unbroken at intersections. Simple.
Almost simple...In the case of a shear wall, I would still want to define only the framing as the core. All references, placements, and dimensions need to relate to framing, not the F.O. plywd. How about another checkbox for not wrapping?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
I don't know if this helps: Instead of crating a wall for example with 30-1250-30 mm (render-core-render) create a composite wall with 29-1-1250-1-29 mm (render-x-core-x-render) where x is a skin with a solid fill. By this if you extend your vertical wall until it meets this x core of the horizontal one the result aproximates better your "dream".jpg.The solid fill looks like a thick line.Still a problem that the render fills do not connect...
pic3.jpg
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Learn and get certified!