Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Copy a building from one file to another

Gisele
Advocate

Is there a way to copy a two-story building with its annotation from one file to another without using a Hotlink?

AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Win11 Pro 22H2 - 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KF 3.00 GHz - 64 GB - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

you can try a Merge File operation.

just a heads up. i haven't done this in a long while but you might want to make sure that you have at least the same number of stories & same story heights in your active file (the one you're working on) as with your origin file (the file you're importing). Also, this will bring in all attributes & might not be a guarantee that the index numbers will align between your Active File & your Origin File.

GerryLeonor_0-1684194363311.png

File > Interoperability > Merge > Merge from File

when the Merge File window pops up, make sure to select the "All Files" setting at the bottom 

GerryLeonor_1-1684194513487.png

go to the directory of that .pln file & click Open

when the Merge pop up appears asking you which part of the PLN file to bring in, select the first option "Virtual Building (All Stories)"

GerryLeonor_2-1684194646383.png

on the other hand, you could simply do a Save As copy of your origin file & strip out the Layout Book if you don't need the drawings in there.

AC25 | Win10 | 64Gb RAM | Intel i7 13700F | RTX 4070 Ti
>come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

View solution in original post

Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

if you don't have it open & if you have Windows Explorer open, go the directory & make a copy of the file with a different file name.

if you have the file open, go to File  & click "Save As" & save it under a different file name.

open that second file & simply delete all the layouts in the Layout Book.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

you can try a Merge File operation.

just a heads up. i haven't done this in a long while but you might want to make sure that you have at least the same number of stories & same story heights in your active file (the one you're working on) as with your origin file (the file you're importing). Also, this will bring in all attributes & might not be a guarantee that the index numbers will align between your Active File & your Origin File.

GerryLeonor_0-1684194363311.png

File > Interoperability > Merge > Merge from File

when the Merge File window pops up, make sure to select the "All Files" setting at the bottom 

GerryLeonor_1-1684194513487.png

go to the directory of that .pln file & click Open

when the Merge pop up appears asking you which part of the PLN file to bring in, select the first option "Virtual Building (All Stories)"

GerryLeonor_2-1684194646383.png

on the other hand, you could simply do a Save As copy of your origin file & strip out the Layout Book if you don't need the drawings in there.

Gisele
Advocate

How to "Save As copy of the origin file & strip out the Layout Book?"

AC 26 - 5002 USA FULL
Win11 Pro 22H2 - 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KF 3.00 GHz - 64 GB - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

if you don't have it open & if you have Windows Explorer open, go the directory & make a copy of the file with a different file name.

if you have the file open, go to File  & click "Save As" & save it under a different file name.

open that second file & simply delete all the layouts in the Layout Book.