Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Copy and Paste in 3D and Elevations

ethanbodnar
Advocate

This might be a newbie question! Seems pretty basic and something that you can do in like all the other 3d programs? Maybe not possible in Archicad, but feel like I’ve gotta be missing something here, maybe a setting or something. Any ideas or insights greatly appreciated? When I press CMD+C in 3d view I just get loud error beeps.

Try to constantly copy and paste in 3d views, like all the time. Same with elevations., I’ve selected these two beams and just want to copy them, then drag them off to the side to keep iterating as part of the design process.

Saw another forum post about across instances of two open Archicad projects, hadn't tried that, but that seems rather basic features we should have too. But here I'm just stuck doing that in 3d in the same project.

Would also like to be able to click and drag holding OPTION key in Mac to copy things like that.

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based

Archicad v26, MacBook Pro, MacOS 13 Ventura, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, RAM 64GB, Non-SSA, Twinmotion User
15 REPLIES 15
hmartell
Booster

19 years (more if you count discussion before I posted that wish) and counting... and yet we've seen no progress on this wish list item. 😢

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
ethanbodnar
Advocate

Just to clairfy not across two windows or different open files, like in the same project? The link above that I also saw seems to be across multiple open projects.

Wild in the year 2024. So sorry for everyone that has been living two decades of their life like this, oh gosh.

My sales rep at the time told me it was a 3d design program but not sure how you can consider yourself a 3d program without copy and paste features, lol

Archicad v26, MacBook Pro, MacOS 13 Ventura, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, RAM 64GB, Non-SSA, Twinmotion User

Maybe give it another 19 years?

AC27 AUS, Windows 11, i9-13900KF, RTX3090, 128GB DDR5, 4k144 display
ethanbodnar
Advocate

With the new Wishlist voting open up for feedback, we should all rally together and vote on this one. If Archicad is actually a 3d modelling tool this should be included without any doubt. Thank you!

brianwo
Participant

The best I’ve found is a “Zero” paste. In many cases, the paste box will have a listening dimension for how far it’s offset from the copy source. If you hit 0 and enter, it will drop it at the original location. This is not always possible, like legend views for instance.

RobPhill33
Booster

You can control drag a copy of elements in the same 3D view.  Not sure why it's not working for you.

ethanbodnar
Advocate

@RobPhill33 oh that's wild! I hadn't even tried that since shortcut keyboard copy and paste didn't work. But I did just try the CMD / CTRL drag on Mac and didn't work at all. 

Hi @ethanbodnar,

Why you need copy/paste if you have drag a copy or copies?

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Setup info provided by author