Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Copy and Paste in 3D and Elevations

ethanbodnar
Advocate

This might be a newbie question! Seems pretty basic and something that you can do in like all the other 3d programs? Maybe not possible in Archicad, but feel like I’ve gotta be missing something here, maybe a setting or something. Any ideas or insights greatly appreciated? When I press CMD+C in 3d view I just get loud error beeps.

Try to constantly copy and paste in 3d views, like all the time. Same with elevations., I’ve selected these two beams and just want to copy them, then drag them off to the side to keep iterating as part of the design process.

Saw another forum post about across instances of two open Archicad projects, hadn't tried that, but that seems rather basic features we should have too. But here I'm just stuck doing that in 3d in the same project.

Would also like to be able to click and drag holding OPTION key in Mac to copy things like that.

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based

Archicad v26, MacBook Pro, MacOS 13 Ventura, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, RAM 64GB, Non-SSA, Twinmotion User
15 REPLIES 15

Imagine trying to 'drag a copy' on a building with 10's of thousands of square meters / feet.  Not easy to drag a copy from one side to the other... zoomed out, you cannot select or see where you're going... zoomed in, you cannot drag and zoom and pan at the same time easily at all.  Or you could be copying to a story tens of stories away...etc

And, if you have two Archicads open... you cannot drag a copy into the other running Archicad.  But, it is impossible to copy from one open Archicad and paste into the other either. 

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
ethanbodnar
Advocate

My sales rep told me when I got into Archicad that it was a full SketchUp replacement for 3d modeling, guess not.

Your points are super valid and there's totally creative ways to design software features that work for everyone.

This is a software / product designers role and dream, to solve this exact use case that you've presented for those designing 50,000 square foot projects and 100 story tall buildings, combined with my very basic use case of wanting to copy and paste a 10x10' slab in 3d.

You can copy and paste in some equally advanced 3d modeling software out there right now.

Archicad v26, MacBook Pro, MacOS 13 Ventura, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, RAM 64GB, Non-SSA, Twinmotion User

Another example is elements that for which there are design options - since there isn't a function to relink a copy (why?!) we have to first copy the element and then relink - and since we cant copy and paste in 3D we need to drag a copy somewhere and then drag it back to the previous position.

ethanbodnar
Advocate

Yep, that seems like a good example too!

I don't work on 100 story buildings, but the control copy/drag seems to work fine.  Maybe it's an issue with Macs? 

ethanbodnar
Advocate

@RobPhill33 oh my goodness, so dreamy watching you do that with such ease!

Setup info provided by author