Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Crash message

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I get a crash which had been happening due to a PC problem, then I re-start AC, I get the message that "this file is already in use do I want to open with exclusive access" (that may not be exact).
So I open with exclusive access, but find I am losing work up until the last save point.
I have ultra safe set, I am just a bit concerned about losing a lot of work one day due to a minor problem or a setting somewhere.
Does anyone else have this?

In AC 17 it would open with a dialogue that asked if I wanted to continue or delete (something like that)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Roger,

You can open the .BPN file, and it will have the state of your file at the last save. After opening, save it as a .PLN and you're back in action (overwrite the existing .PLN) Save frequently. I save a LOT... just in case. My system is very stable, but anything can happen.

Also... Get an Uniterruptable Power Supply. Best investment I ever made.

And for heaven's sake... Don't connect your drafting machine to the internet. Will save you a TON of headaches. I have a cheap, disposable machine for internet use, and transfer files back-and-forth with a thumb drive. My drafting machine always works perfect, and only gets updated when I chose... and after I make a backup disc image / saved state.

I solved my last worry with my latest machine... Now all my drives are solid state. Other than cooling fans, my machines have no moving parts. It's absolutely wonderful.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Dave Sanders
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did open the BPN file and had still lost some work, just wondering why I get that message instead of the one I used to get with 17 that asked to continue or delete (I think). With that it would open right up to the last click, but not anymore.
Has this changed in 18? What message are you getting?
At least AC rarely crashes, and these crashes were due to an add on not AC.
I will consider working offline, but sounds like a drag having to move files via a pen drive several times a day.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Roger,

I've never recovered back to the 'last click'... Only to the last manual or auto-save. You could update the frequency of your auto-save. I've got mine at 60 seconds / 10 commands with 5 second suspension. Sometimes, I think I should set my suspension tighter, though.

I'm on a much earlier version of AC than you are, but imagine you must still be able to fine-tune the auto-save in the later editions.

As far as being 'online'... Yeah, I'm inconvenienced a little by using the thumb drive, but the peace of mind is worth it, for me.

I'm just saying.... SONY. A clear indicator of how dangerous 'cloud' computing can be. For as little as I need to interface my work files with the web, I've elected to entirely eliminate the risk. Particularly since I leave my machines running 24/7.

As famously stated by Corporal Hicks in 'Aliens', "It's the only way to be sure."

Best wishes,

Dave Sanders