Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating a 3-D Mansard Roof in Archi-CAD???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know how to do this...I need to creat one but have hit a wall!!
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
Welcome to the forum.

You will get better advice if you post an image of what you are attempting and PLEASE put your Archicad version and system in your signature so we can advise you according to the Archicad version you are working in.

A mansard like this?
polish mansard.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes a mansard similar to that.

Archit-Cad 10 is the system I am using.
Dwight
Newcomer
SO if it is like that, you should be able to do it with the conventional roof and wall tools, but if you investigate the complex profile tool - see the ArchiWiki:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Creative%20Uses%20of%20Complex%20Profiles

you'll be able to create a building section with the sloped parts as you like and extrude it as if it was a wall, allowing you to place gables and windows.

This is an intermediate level task.....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
This Mansard roof was done in AC 6.5 with the roof tool set to
the barrel vault construction method. Read up on the roof
tool in the help files.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could also consider using the 'Polyroof' option for the Roof tool.

After drawing the outline, it allows you to specify multiple levels of roof each with a different pitch.

(Possible Bug Note - Does the polyroof option actually work for anyone in AC12? Mine allows you to draw the outline and to set it up, but then hangs for 5-10mins after you press OK while it thinks about it! When it has finished thinking it always produces an invalid shaped structure. I am using the latest AC12 update contrary to what the signature says!)

(AC10 and 11 seem to work fine so this shouldn't affect the original poster.)
Dwight
Newcomer
Polyroof Working as always with no delay.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
(Sorry for the thread hijack!)

Thanks for checking Dwight,

It works fine with the default empty AC12 template. It seems to fail for me when using a particular file originated in AC11, which I have based my blank AC12 file on, even if it is empty of geometry.

Perhaps AC12 doesn't like using AC11 attributes somehow, or has become corrupted?

I suspect the problem is that I don't use a proper 'template' as such, but I strip down a copy of the previous file and use that as the basis of the new one, as I keep tweeking and adding stuff to it. Maybe it is time I learnt how to set up and manage a proper template!

For the time being I will create a fresh AC12 template from scratch, import in any custom attributes from another file, and see if that sorts it.
Djordje
Ace
The skeleton of the procedure is as can be found here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/issue15/dormerexp.html

As you see, it is a very old set of instructions, dating 10 years back. NOthing has changed in the meantime.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen