Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

DWG/Color/Pen Set-View vs Layout

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all.
I have brought a DWG site into archiad.
When I select the site in archicad i see that I can chenge then pen set.
So I changed it to an all black penset that I made.
But, when I am viewing this on a layout the colors are back, like it is ignorong the pen set I set to it.

Any Ideas?
Make anysense?
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Well, i'm not sure I understand you completely...

The Help files are really helpful!

You have a number of pre-defined Pen Sets in the program. There's a list at Options>Element Attributes > Pens & Colors.
If one of them suits you, fine, otherwise customise and save one of your own. You can use any color and pen width for any pen. I usually use an Autocad standard pen set of my own because it makes conversions easier.

Now open your layout, select the view in question and right-click. Select Drawing Selection Settings. In the dialog, open the Properties tab. There in the lower left, select the pre-defined pen set you want. Then, on the right, you can override it with greyscale or everything black if you like. Click OK.

If the DWG refuses to display the way you want it after the above excersise, you can workarund it by importing the DWG into a separate .pln document and then Hot-link that into your current project. This will give youeven more control.

If none of this works, I don't know.
I don't know how good I am with communicating my question and thoughts through here with typing.

It doesn't seem that we are on the same page exactly here. I don't think I am making it so you can undersatnd me completely.
I am going to look into your hotlinked suggestion though and see where that gets me.

Are you saying that I should open an empty Archicad project-Import the DWG file, and save it out as a hotlinked module with the pens I want to be displayed on?
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Jess,
Change your pen set again. This time redefine your view, the one that is placed on the layout. Do an update, you should be seeing the DWG pen set now.

Mmm For get about what I wrote above. I think you may have found a bug? It's not working as it should. I did a redefine but it didn't work. This is a work around though. If you mark the view on the layout, then bring up the drawing selection setting dialog, you can change your pen set in there to the one you want.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:
Jess,
Change your pen set again. This time redefine your view, the one that is placed on the layout. Do an update, you should be seeing the DWG pen set now.

Mmm For get about what I wrote above. I think you may have found a bug? It's not working as it should. I did a redefine but it didn't work. This is a work around though. If you mark the view on the layout, then bring up the drawing selection setting dialog, you can change your pen set in there to the one you want.

Cheers.
Ben
Maybe I can do some print screens and show you guys what I am talking about. I am going to try to explain it one more time. (I think its a bug too, maybe)
This is what I mean by the following terms whenI use them here for this:
View- a saved View through the view map and the navigator. Has it's own pen settings.
DWG- the auto cad file i am placing on my VIEW. DWG also has its own pen set by selecting it- refering to the info box- picking a pen set for it.
Drawing- this is the View after it has been placed on the layout. this also has a pen set.

in my VIEW my view Penset is Greyoutput, and I make my DWG pen set also greayoutput. so in my view everything looks black and white and grey, like i want it.

Once I place my view (With the DWG in it) on the layout- I go to drawing settings and set the pen set to either By View or Greyoutput (It doesn't matter)

Now what I have drawn in my view through archicad is following the greayoutput pens that I assigned it, but all the DWG lines are colors again. The colors that it was drawn with in autocad.

Now- Isnt there a way we can assign a translator of some sorts to DWGs that we bring in? and how?
For instance- my surveyor's contours and well circles are way too dark. So I want to assign my own pens to these things so they are lighter, and so that they are grey/black when I want to print them.
Any better?
Thomas Holm
Booster
Jesikuh123 wrote:
Are you saying that I should open an empty Archicad project-Import the DWG file, and save it out as a hotlinked module with the pens I want to be displayed on?
yes. i thought if this is a bug with viewing DWG drawings you've found, if you import it into an empty Archicad project, and then hotlink that, it's no longer a DWG, thus you would avoid seeing the bug...
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Thomas Holm
Booster
Jesikuh123 wrote:
Now- Isnt there a way we can assign a translator of some sorts to DWGs that we bring in? and how?
Of course. To make translations consistent, I tend to use the Keep Pen Index Number translator and assign a pen set to the import that gives me the look I want. Check the Help files!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes yes.
I think this is what I am going to be doing from now on.
Wit this survey and DWG though, I have gone into AutocAD and just changed all th epens and pen weights in t here to be what I want them tp be in Archiacad. So I cheated.
What about linking the DWG via Xreffing as opposed to being an external Drawing? That way it is subject to the active pen set anyways. There won't be a dual pen set issue for the placed drawing on the layout to deal with.

Good luck!
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System