cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Driveway mesh/modelling on steep slope

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Wondering if anybody can help me with this... we have a very steep block and have had to work within many different constraints which has resulted in us having to have the garage floor level on a bit of fill. We need to check that they driveway is not going to be too steep (14° max with 7° transitions at the top and bottom). As you can see the driveway is curved to follow the natural contours of the land. I have tried many different things with no success. Is there a way I can model the driveway with a 14° slope that follows the curve to ensure that my driveway will work??

I hope this makes sense, and I have attached a screenshot of where the driveway is going and you can see the garage floor level that it needs to reach.

Thanks Jess

Architalk help.jpg
3 REPLIES 3
Hobbesnb
Booster
If you're just concerned about making sure the slope will remain under 14 degrees, I'd recommend using several roof segments together and fit them to the general path of the driveway). Orient the roofs to the center line of the drive way, and then trim/intersect them with each other.

After you've established that the slopes work, then you can use a mesh to make a cleaner looking driveway.

A more mathematical method would be to graphically split the driveway into three segments using fills on the plan: Bottom Transition, Main Driveway, and Top Transition. Draw a polyline along the line of travel for each segment, and use the Element Information palette to get the lengths for each polyline. Establish your total rise from the road to the garage and divide it by the sum length of your polylines. If this isn't below 14 degrees, then you'll need to revise your driveway plan. If it is below 14 degrees, then you can take into account the lower slopes at the transitions to ensure that the central section doesn't exceed 14 degrees.
Scott Graham, AIA LEED BD+C

Principal | BIM Manager

Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd.

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Anonymous
Not applicable
If this is a "real" project I strongly suggest to go to a consultant - we call him a road engineer in my country. He is the only one who can guarantee a proper answer to your problem and give you the righ slopes and curves for the road.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both very much for your replies, I really appreciate it. Scott that is the answer I was looking for, I had tried using the roofs but not as you had described. I will give this a try and see how it goes. Thankyou!