Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Elevation 'shadow' settings - does it reference the model?

rob2218
Enthusiast
My boss had a question.
He said that with Archicad being so sophisticated he couldn't see having shadows created on an elevational view NOT match the shadows that are assigned to the 3d model as well as the direction of the North arrow setting.

I told him that the elevational shadows were only a "graphic" technique and that you were able to manipulate the shadows in a per elevational tag setting but that they didn't automatically relate to the 'sun orientation' on the project.

Can someone please confirm this for me?
thanks....
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Elevation Selection Settings > Model Display > SUN AND SHADOWS > Viewpoint Sun Settings > As in 3D window

Is that what you're looking for?

We use custom shadows on 45 degree just to show depth. North elevations would just be one big blob of shadows otherwise.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks for the quick response.
Soon after I hit the "send" key...I noticed the "custom" small arrow to the right of the elevation tag shadow setting........but yes, this is what I was looking at.

I did also note that if you set the elevational marker to "As in 3d window" it does create a big blob on the shade side of the building that is not in sunlight.....

So, the question then beckons...due you set the 'elevational shadow' setting associated to a 'viewmap' or not?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
For schematic elevations, shadows are typically used for aesthetics and definition, and so are set per elevation, not from the sun settings of the 3D window.

If you are doing shadow/shading studies, then the 3D window sun settings may be more appropriate.

Cheers,
Link.