Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Graphisoft Plans for North America exposure?

rob2218
Enthusiast
I'd just like to know.....is all.
Cause I'm getting a bit worried.
Worried because everywhere I turn I see "Revit" this and Revit that......

2 years ago...I was told that GS North America was going to make a big push in the U.S. market....so far....it's tough actually seeing this in the trenches.....

GS North America - if you are out there...what are yer plans here?
As a "loyal" Archicad user....mind I add I was using Acad and ADT for over 20 years - since version 2.5......I'd like to know what plans you have.

I'd hate to have to switch over to the 'dark' side just cause I'm not informed.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
17 REPLIES 17
rob2218
Enthusiast
You really think an I.F.C. format is going to dominate the standard?
Are you kidding me?
IFC is just another way of saying...ummm....do you want DWG, DXF, or TIFF or PDF.....just another set of letters which "tries" to convince the masses that IT (IFC) will be the industry standard.

Problem with standards, once again, is there are so many to chose from.....and until one company, one entity, one sole determining factor can make IFC "the" standard, it wont happen.

I've had to deal with IFC translations between Revit and Archicad....and let me tell you it's a freakin' nightmare!!! Really it is.

Either one of two things happened in my dealings with IFC. A) the Revit user on the other end just didn't know WTF they were doing when creating objects in REVIT or B) IFC really does suck and translation is terrible....PERIOD.

Just my thoughts.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob,

Just because Revit is lousy at working with IFC doesn't make it bad. Autodesk have a strong interest in seeing that IFC either fail or succeed slowly. Despite that they are being forced to support it anyway. In the meantime firms like Nemetschek and Tekla are moving forward aggressively to support it and the efforts are paying off. Graphisoft is also working on their own end run by making Revit add-ins to make the Revit IFC output less crappy. These still have a ways to go but the initial efforts are promising as well as useful.

Tekla is also starting to push into markets outside its traditional structural focus creating some direct competition to Navisworks. This could be a game changing turn of events.

I use IFC a great deal and to good effect in many projects. It still has a long way to go but the alternative of everyone using Revit is not only unacceptable but also unworkable. Revit is good but not good enough for that.

BTW: The incompetence of some Revit users is also not a reason to slam IFC. I have seen the same problems with AutoCAD users not even understanding their own file formats (DWG and DXF) well enough to interoperate and of course blaming the failure on the other software.

Cheers,
Matthew
Anonymous
Not applicable
[censored] ........ [censored]
I guess you feel strongly about this. LOL!
Matthew has put it very well so I don't need to repeat. Just remember that it is easy to do anything badly. Forget about communicating between software packages - I have had terrible experiences working with files done by others using the same software. As with anything there has to be a discipline about how you set things up - to prepare in the future for x, y and z - and BIM is no exception. Actually it is even more important here.

IFC is as good as you prepare t make it.
But on the other hand, if it actually is 'censored' then we might as well update the websites of graphisoft, tekla, solibri and co each with a big countdown clock to oblivion.
rob2218
Enthusiast
I've lost my freedoms.
Funny thing was is that the "censored" words weren't even bad words.
Someone at GS decided they were and censored them.
The words I used were an 3 letter acronym starting with the letter "W" and ending with the letter "F".

The second word I used was what you do when you sip a shake thru a straw.......now, if this aint censorship...I don't know what is.

Sorry GS feels I may have written bad words but I didnt...just for the record folks.

Back to the IFC issue....er...really I don't want to stray from the topic of "What is GS doing in North America to further promote their software"?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
It can be difficult to discuss vacuum cleaners or abbreviate the World Tennis Federation around here.

I remember being a bit surprised the first time it happened to me. I think they're just written into the filters. I don't know if they were specified by Graphisoft or are just part of the default forum stuff. It does seem a bit extreme but I do appreciate the level of civility here. It's quite a contrast to many of the blog post threads I run across (and I'm talking about the relatively civil ones).
vistasp
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
It can be difficult to discuss vacuum cleaners or abbreviate the World Tennis Federation around here.
I remember the time it censored the word t-e-e-n and I thought, "World Tennis Federation???". Then, Laszlo pointed out that the word is often followed by a three-letter word that sounds a lot like what a vacuum cleaner does.

I think censoring is built into phpBB and while I'm sure the list of banned words is editable, I don't think anyone has bothered to do so. It's sort of like using the default Work Environment.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Stress Co_
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
You mean "W-T-F Dad" doesn't stand for: "Wow, That's Fantastic Dad"?
I'll have to have a talk with my daughter.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
JaredBanks
Mentor
rob2218 wrote:
How can I help GS?
If GS "is" truly looking to ramp up.....they can give me a
Call....I'd love nothin more than to try and convince other
Architects about Archicad.....so GS, if you are serious about
Increasing sales in North America.....I'm here to help.
Have you contacted your local reseller to see if they want some pro-help?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome