cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Guidelines for drawing (helplines?)

Paopao
Booster
Hi guys,
I am very new to Archicad (have been using it for 2 days) and I am on a MacBook Pro. I use it for architecture drawings, for which I need guidelines sometimes, the problems I am having is that the guidelines I draw only stay for little time, they tend to disappear very fast while in Cad you could have them there as long as you needed them. What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone tell me what is the shortcut for guidelines on a mac keyboard? The cmd + § is very unnatural to use (I am on an Italian keyboard). Is there a way to keep guidelines on as long as I need them? Can anyone help me please?

thanks for helping me.
Pao
AC26 EDU • WIN 10 • Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz• 32G RAM• NVidia GForce GTX 1080
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
The first guidelines to appear are tentative (light blue by default) and go away quickly if you don't need them (otherwise the screen would become quickly cluttered) to make them persistent (orange by default) you can move the cursor along the line until it changes color.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Paopao wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is the shortcut for guidelines on a mac keyboard? The cmd + § is very unnatural to use (I am on an Italian keyboard). Is there a way to keep guidelines on as long as I need them? Can anyone help me please?
Perhaps you could try assigning the ~ key to the 'Force Guide Line' command.
It is much quicker than sliding your cursor along the temporary guide line and waiting for it them become permanent.

When hovering over an edge, you can simply hit ~ twice to get your guide line.

Cheers,
Link.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Paopao wrote:
the problems I am having is that the guidelines I draw only stay for little time, they tend to disappear very fast while in Cad you could have them there as long as you needed them.
Also, under Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > Guide Lines you can set how long it takes for the various types of guides lines to appear.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Paopao
Booster
Thanks very much for your replies guys! I have already changed the shortcut to something more manageable.

I have also fixed my signature, thanks for the suggestion David.
AC26 EDU • WIN 10 • Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz• 32G RAM• NVidia GForce GTX 1080
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
David wrote:
Also, under Work Environment > User Preference Schemes > Guide Lines you can set how long it takes for the various types of guides lines to appear.
I'm a fan if dialling all of these out to their max and ~only~ using the Force Guide Line. So much less clutter, even at the expense of s shortcut.
David wrote:
You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.
David, you must feel like adding this to your signature half the time!
Wasn't there a wish to include this as part of the sign up process at some point? I'm sure I voted essential!

Cheers,
Link.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Link wrote:
David wrote:
David wrote:
David, you must feel like adding this to your signature half the time!
Wasn't there a wish to include this as part of the sign up process at some point? I'm sure I voted essential!
Link:

It is just a Text Clipping file that I drag into the Reply box when appropriate, just takes a second, and I think is more effective than being buried in the Signature . I agree with the Signature at Sign Up idea (as others have suggested) but then would be bugging posters to update their signatures after a while .

Enjoy the weekend.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14