Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Having trouble with complex profiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I'm trying to create a concave, irregular wall somewhat similar to this one:

I am fairly new to making complex profiles and am struggling. Any help would really be appreciated.

thanks.
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
it will automaticly rotate it to horizontal once you save it as an object.

go to 3d view and setthe camera to be viewing it directly down like plan view before u save it
Anonymous
Not applicable
hmm just can't seem to do it.... I can get it to curve vertically and horizonatlly seperately. but i cant seem to get it to curve both vertically and horizontally if you know what i mean.. i must have missed a step somewhere. i'll keep mucking around with it and hopefully i'll find that missing step.
Erika Epstein
Booster
when you save it as an object, you need to be looking at in the 3D window as though you are looking straight down on it as it will be when placed.
Check the help menu

Put your Archicad version and OS in your signature please.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it.. I've now been able to do everything but make the profile curve vertically. As you can see in the picture it's only curved horizontally.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
willy684 wrote:
I've now been able to do everything but make the profile curve vertically. As you can see in the picture it's only curved horizontally.
When drawing the wall, use one of the curved wall Geometry Methods so the wall is curved in plan (before being rotated when saved as an object), this should be slightly more than a semi circular shape in your case.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
willy684 wrote:
thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it.. I've now been able to do everything but make the profile curve vertically. As you can see in the picture it's only curved horizontally.
Take a look at OBJECTiVE - it has tools for bending custom profile or built-in steel objects to complex curves in 3D. The objects retain their intelligence too, no matter how they are bent, rotated, or cut in 3D. I've attached some images to illustrate some uses of the tools. You can find out more at: http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html

Modelling the building in the picture won't be easy - I could be wrong, but external envelope doesn't seem to be comprised of regular arcs, i.e. it looks egg-shaped.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
willy684 wrote:
Dwight
Newcomer
You need to understand that a curvy-durvy wall must be converted into an arched structure by converting it into an object - this is how the orientation is changed.

Use the information here to do it:

http://www.archicad.ca/Downloads/DNC-Cookbook-4/Intro-to-Object-Making.pdf

page 14
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
cheers for that Dwight, helped a lot.

A new problem I'm now facing is that I cant figure out how to change my background from grey to white... If i select the complex profiles it changes my drawing area from white to grey, which only began happening today.. How can i change it back so it looks like it does in the second picture? I cant see any of the lines that i draw if it's grey even though they are there..

cheers.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't worry, I worked out how to fix it.