Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Help With Continous Curved Ramp and Form !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
H guys,

I want to create a building really similar to that of the cocoon office in zurich. The spiral ramps are continous and getting bigger all the way to the top. I have no idea on how to draw this on archicad. The curved ramp in the object folder does not allow me to achieve this effect.

Another question would also be on how to achieve the outher form which follows the spiral of the ramp. How do i cut the curved wall to be in line with the spiral ramp?? Your help will be greatly appreciated!! Please Help !! Thanks...

1258465128-cocoon-c-fk-012-1000x750.jpg
16 REPLIES 16
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
LinRong wrote:
The spiral ramps are continous and getting bigger all the way to the top. I have no idea on how to draw this on archicad. The curved ramp in the object folder does not allow me to achieve this effect.
You can produce this kind of geometry with OBJECTiVE, but it's very difficult to set out. I've modelled a stair rising through an elliptical, conical space before, and it was quite a challenge. I've roughly placed a series of profiles using OBJECTiVE's Bend and Offset tools to illustrate what you could achieve.

You can use these profiles to SEO the top or bottom of walls, so that could solve your other problem too (if you can get the walls to follow the right path).
Conical.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a user of objective i think that objective is your tool.
Yesterday i do a little try with "dragon", with dragon you can do almost anything but you need to setup the point manually, if your proyect is not very big it can be very easy and you has the control of the form. You can use dragon, for the ramp,the roof, and the curtain wall, define your custom panellings, delete some panels... you can hide the structure is you want for the ramp.
I'm very bussy this days (i'm giving a archicad course ) when i have more time i will upload some examples.

By garquitectos at 2012-05-16
TMA_80
Enthusiast
This seem to be challenging to model in ArchiCAD. ( as Even Ralph hasdifficulties into making it with objective...)

I'm wondering if the profiler cadimage tool wouldn't be s solution for your situation as I remeber from a demo video, it has an option to define a path in 3d and apply a profile to it !

If not, I would say Sketchup is your friend ( or any external modeler )

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27654&start=0
AC12_27 |Win11_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been testing out these few days and I am able to create my curved/spiral glass railing finally. I used the method provided by zeropointreference which requires to create two hidden layers of ramps for SEO. However, it is not as accurate as I hoped it would be. I am not proficient in any other softwares yet and really hope to improve my archicad model. Anyone with better suggestions to improve my model, please advise and share!! thanks!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi LinRong,

More discussion here:
archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=33532&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Have a look onto GDL Objects: Curved Ramps on Olivier Dentan's personal site: archilib.od.pagesperso-orange.fr/

Hope this will give you more options!
Erika Epstein
Booster
Related to the your problem of ever-widening spiral, I was looking to see what documentation there is for Wright's Guggenheim Museum. You might take a look at this site
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Just to add to the Erika suggestion; This is a video from Graphisoft showing the the Guggenheim Museum modilisation: ( the first part could help )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhiUqTyNk7k

You won't be able to get vertical angle on the ramp edge though.
AC12_27 |Win11_64bit|