BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to Save Preferences/Working Units/Calculations Units

Anonymous
Not applicable
What do I need to do to save my settings for Preferences/Working Units/Calculations Units? I reset these often enough only to find them reset to the default when I open the project again.
Thanks,
John
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
johncassel wrote:
What do I need to do to save my settings for Preferences/Working Units/Calculations Units? I reset these often enough only to find them reset to the default when I open the project again.
Thanks,
John
it's your work profile.
when starting up you need to NOT use the default profile but the current profile/ last profile.
Alternately you could save your work environment from the options menu.
TomWaltz
Participant
Ashy wrote:
johncassel wrote:
Thanks,
John
it's your work profile.
when starting up you need to NOT use the default profile but the current profile/ last profile.
Alternately you could save your work environment from the options menu.
Nice try, but incorrect.

Preferences are part of the PLN, not the Work Environment. Many of the Preference settings are controlled as part of the View Settings... without any way of knowing. I see a lot of people getting stung on that lately.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
johncassel wrote:
Thanks,
John
Well what I would do, and Ive just been doing it, is create a template by first opening a new AC10 drg based on the standard template.

Then change all of the settings like working units, also change all the tools like windows and doors to a better initial setting (for example I changed the initial door to be a 1000mm wide timber door because I need those far more than the default 900mm door these days with disabled regs etc). You can also change the titleblock to use autotext blocks for client names etc, adjust the pen styles if you want (I kept them the same as they seem rather good in AC10), and can also change the dims styles etc. You can even set up specific new layers if you want to use these rather than the standard layers as well.

When you have changed everything you want to save the file as a template file in the ac10 template folder or somewhere else on your harddisk (perhaps the same location as your custom library?).

Then whenever you start a new drg you can just use this new template instead of the default one and everything will be set up already.

The only things that you may need to set up other than this are the display styles, menus, toolbars and your keyboard shortcuts and the like which can be saved as a special profile of your own so your computer screen looks the same for you every time you start. This is also advised if others share your computer and keep changing the way your screen looks (which is really annoying).

It is also well worth backing up your profile and template file somewhere safe so it cant be overwritten!
Learn and get certified!