Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to build this?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all.

I have a need to construct this simple roof style, which is all good but I can't figure out how to get that window on the 3rd floor in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Andrew.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't like to build that kind of situations in ArchiCad at all
But you could. I normaly does like this (easy explanation but it could be a starthelp?)

First :
3-floor, you need a wall ofcause. Put your window in that wall

Second :
Create a 4-floor, there you put your roofs. Sometimes it would be better to split your wall at 3-floor where roof changes.
If you need a outdoor vertical side (wall) between low and high roof I normally draw this at 4-floor

I'm not that good in english so I can explain in detail how I do. Maybe I could make a step-by-step drawing but I don't have time for that now, and like I said, I hate to draw this because ArchiCad doesn't handle it very well. The best result are given with a few layers that are only displayed in 2d or in 3d (section/elevations).
Stress Co_
Advisor
This may help......

(Quoted from Djordje, on an old post... search first)

"An extensive lesson on dormers (written for ArchiCAD 5 or 6, but still valid, with the exception of SEOs) is avaliable on ArchiGuide Archives: "

http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/issue15/dormerexp.html
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to chime in here because I find that ArchiCAD handles this situation quite well, considering it is a tricky thing to detail in the real world as well.

One thing that helps is to model the roof sheathing and cladding (roofing) separately from the roof structure and eaves. I do this as standard practice and find the extra effort more than pays for itself in the appearance of the model, the accuracy of the details, and the ease of resolving quirky roof conditions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
I have to chime in here because I find that ArchiCAD handles this situation quite well, considering it is a tricky thing to detail in the real world as well.
True!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Many many thanks, I'll give your ideas a try and post the results.