Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to 'force open' a pln file into Plan view

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a .pln file that has a few issues in elevation view (too many trees basically) it was last calculated to take 236 minutes to update. I keep trying to stop the elevation from generating/updating but ArchiCAD becomes unresponsive. If I could open it directly into Plan view, the program should respond and I could fix the issue, however after many attempts I cannot find a way to open in plan view instead of the last view window which was elevation.

Any suggestions?

Thank You
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
When the elevation is updating you should be able to stop it. The cancel button on the progress window is not always responsive (it's hard to trap for interrupts during intensive processes) but if you hold down the command (Mac) or control (Win) and the "." (period, full stop) key it will keep sending continuous cancel commands until the interrupt is recognized. Then you should be able to adjust your layers or trees or whatever you need to do.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately is didn't work. As soon as the elevation starts to update, I get the "balloon" (mac loading icon) and ArchiCAD becomes unresponsive.

I'm going to try it on my Brother's PC and see if that makes any difference (he can run x64)

Thank You

EDIT: just realised that I can't use it on another computer as it's not an archive file, so the parts I made with OBJECTiVE will not be read. (I tried it anyway, and it opens without crashing, just all my parts are missing)
Anonymous
Not applicable
It sounds like it may be the library parts that are giving you the problems. Go ahead and open it without the libraries, close the elevation and/or change your layer settings and then reopen with the libraries. The parts will still be there. Without the libraries loaded they will just be placeholders without the associated data to display them, but no data is lost.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
It sounds like it may be the library parts that are giving you the problems. Go ahead and open it without the libraries, close the elevation and/or change your layer settings and then reopen with the libraries. The parts will still be there. Without the libraries loaded they will just be placeholders without the associated data to display them, but no data is lost.
How do I go about opening it without libraries? (I think it's ArchiCAD trees, there are about 50!) The library parts that are essential were all made with OBJECTiVE. Upon opening the file, I have literally no interaction with it... it becomes unresponsive pretty much as soon as it's opened

Thanks for your help, this is quite crucial!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Move the libraries to a place where ArchiCAD can't find them, then open the project. After you're done put the libraries back where they belong.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Move the libraries to a place where ArchiCAD can't find them, then open the project. After you're done put the libraries back where they belong.
Worked just fine, thanks you very much.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great. Glad to hear that it worked out.
owen
Newcomer
NStocks wrote:
... I keep trying to stop the elevation from generating/updating but ArchiCAD becomes unresponsive. If I could open it directly into Plan view, the program should respond and I could fix the issue, however after many attempts I cannot find a way to open in plan view instead of the last view window which was elevation.
I actually have a real problem with this behaviour / 'feature' of ArchiCAD - that is opening windows other than the Plan window when opening a file. Why does ArchiCAD do this?

We have a highrise model that will 100% guaranteed give an 'Out of Memory' error if you try to generate a 3D of the whole building at scales below 1:100 (extensive use of highly detailed scale-sensitive objects). Repeatedly we find ourselves in the situation where upon opening the TW2 project, after waiting a good 10 minutes for TW to load the file we get an 'Out of Memory' error caused by ArchiCAD opening the 3D Window in the background and attempting to generate a view of the building as part of the opening process. It is infuriating as the only way to stop it is to have a shortcut setup for 'Close All Background Windows' and start spamming it the moment the 6-stage TW open progress bar appears. If you are lucky AC might get your command and close the 3D Window before it gets around to attempting to generate it.

IMO it is totally unnecessary for ArchiCAD to open ANY windows other than the Floor Plan when opening a file. The default should be floor plan only, or at least give us a preference to be able to set this ourselves on an application install basis (do NOT save it with the file!)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel vindicated....
See this thread.