Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to get plan view to reflect trims made to objects?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've used RoofMaker to create the framing for a roof extension. It intersects and is built upon an existing sarked roof. So the existing roof is modelled and I've trimmed the RoofMaker rafters to it.

However, the plan view still shows the original untrimmed rafters, whereas 3D and sections show rafters as trimmed. How do I get the plan view to show the rafters trimmed?

Thanks for your help
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a long standing problem with SEO (Solid element operations-Trimming objects with roof or floor planes or other objects.) It is reflected on 3d but not on floor plans. What I do is simply mask the ofending object in plan with an empty fill with background color -1 (screen background) There will be issues if you plan to translate the drawing to autocad
Thomas Holm
Booster
It is possible to do a horizontal 3D cut in the 3D window, and when in Internal Engine mode, copy that and paste / overlay it in the floor plan. A real WORKaround, but it's possible.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

Well, I'm dumbfounded. "Alter the model and see your changes reflected in 2D plan..." ....Yeah, right.

I'm still using v10, and this wasn't solved in AC11 either?

So do we know if this is on the GS wishlist near the top, as I believe it should be? I did a forum search on "trim object plan view" and nothing like this showed up.
Erich
Contributor
If you search SEO you will find plenty of discussion about this issue. I believe there have been several polls as well. If this is an issue for you find the poll and vote.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
peter_h wrote:
However, the plan view still shows the original untrimmed rafters, whereas 3D and sections show rafters as trimmed. How do I get the plan view to show the rafters trimmed?
You can cut the rafters and other framing members with OBJECTiVE, and it will look correct in 2D and 3D (referring to the attached image):
1) Create your roof with Roofmaker
2) Select the framing to be cut, click OBJECTiVE's Split tool, and trace across the cut line as prompted
3) The offcut ends can be deleted or dragged away (as you please)
4) The finished result in 3D

OBJECTIVE also has built-in steel and timber framing library. You can find out more about OBJECTiVE at http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html

[Note: if you already have OBJECTiVE, make sure you download the latest version (2.20) for this exercise]
split.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Listen graphisoft we need this function inside the program!
Im sick of buying new add ons for basic functions that should be in the program. Only to be useless on the next release.
Please Graphisoft do one of the following:
a-Program a similar function on the next release
b-License this proven add on to incorporated on the next release.
c-Give away discount vouchers to buy this add on
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
jocontreras wrote:
Im sick of buying new add ons for basic functions that should be in the program. Only to be useless on the next release.
The update to OBJECTiVE for AC12 will be free for all registered users and will not lag behind the release of AC12.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Thomas Holm
Booster
jocontreras,

you might be interested to know that as opposed to other addons (from companies beginning with C), the objects you create or manipulate with Objective will work later even if you don't have Objective installed. So there are no limits to their use, and you can use them in projects you send to others as well.

Ralph,

I seem to lag behind a version or two (of Objective) all the time. You don't happen to have a mail list so we lazy users can get info on new releases when you release them?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
jocontreras wrote:
......on on the next release
b-License this proven add on to incorporated on the next release.
NO NO NO NO let this one stay out of the hands of GS and let Ralph keep it going. We need one reliable/evolving/simple/version to version stable/innovative tool around, please.
Thanks,
Joseph