Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to open an auto save file?

Rick Thompson
Expert
(or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)

I just had an interesting experience, which brought up something I haven't considered before. I managed to delete about 2 hours of work somehow. (I am on a beta 12, and not the final release.. I think I found a bug:( Anyway, I could not go backwards and undo it, so I was screwed.. basically. I tried to open an auto save file, but could not. Then.. I remembered a bug in stairmaker, so in as few steps as I could, I crashed AC on purpose. I was then able to open AC and prompt the autosave feature, which got me back. If I didn't know how to crash it, I would have really been up poop creek, as someone was waiting on the work to be sent to them right then.

So, in leu of being able to intentionally crash AC, is there away to open an auto save file? If not, I will put it on the wish list. It could be sort of a fail safe mechanism aka Dr, Strangelove.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
22 REPLIES 22
Rick Thompson
Expert
Dwight wrote:
Wouldn't the forum be more fun if we all had nicknames like gangsters do?
These nicknames would derive from our avatars or writing:
Sounds a bit more Native American..

Dwight... "noface".. "knowface"... more suggestive:)
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Dwight
Newcomer
JaredBanks wrote:
or is it draft-dancing?).
Didn't they make a movie about that in the eighties where a woman wants to go to ballet school but is stuck in the back room of an architect's sweatshop?
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Rick wrote:
Dwight wrote:
Wouldn't the forum be more fun if we all had nicknames like gangsters do?
These nicknames would derive from our avatars or writing:
Sounds a bit more Native American..

Dwight... "noface".. "knowface"... more suggestive:)
My Native name "Runs like a girl"
Dwight Atkinson
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
You all are getting pretty funny. Must be Friday afternoon. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all meet for a good pint and crack jokes.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Dwight
Newcomer
Just trying to crack 5000.
Dwight Atkinson
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Dwight wrote:
Just trying to crack 5000.
Ya well I'm just trying to crack 200.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Dwight
Newcomer
Go for it Squirrel boy.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, but getting back to the subject:

Autosave can be a blessing - but members of our office have found it doesn't always kick on after a restart.

Searching for it manually is a bit of nightmare - under "Library/Support/", or some such. And it's called something like "Global.T".

Question #1: if you have more than one session of Acad open, which one is saving to "Global.T"?

Question #2: why can't the file be called "Mymodel.$$$" or similar? Okay I suppose you'd soon accumulate a number of these, but a little housekeeping would get rid of the trash.

Question #3: wouldn't it be good if you could recover the Autosave model after you stupidly closed without saving? How many of us can say, hand on heart, we've never done that?

Keith

Archicad Ver 11 on Mac OSX 10.4.8
__archiben
Booster
Keith wrote:
Question #1: if you have more than one session of Acad open, which one is saving to "Global.T"?
i'm guessing they all do. it being 'global' and all. i don't think that the autosave file is actually one file to one project. i have a feeling that it's broken up into parts - and that's what all of the other weird and wonderful file names along side are. maybe 'global' is just telling archicad how to piece them all back together again?
Question #2: why can't the file be called "Mymodel.$$$" or similar? Okay I suppose you'd soon accumulate a number of these, but a little housekeeping would get rid of the trash.
what's the difference? (aside from the fact that you know exactly which project crashed of course). archicad does the housekeeping on quitting so whatever it's called it shouldn't be an issue, right?
Question #3: wouldn't it be good if you could recover the Autosave model after you stupidly closed without saving? How many of us can say, hand on heart, we've never done that?
not often. and quite honestly i'll take my punishment if that's the case. anyone doing that on a regular basis will soon learn to wise up if they have to do all of their work again. call it darwinism.

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
JaredBanks
Mentor
And doesn't ArchiCAD always ask you if you'd like to save, if you're quiting with unsaved changes?

Side question. How do people handle backups with .pln files? I'm more familiar with teamwork backups. Right now with solo projects I'm just manually dragging copies of the file onto a back folder on my machine. I'm assuming there's a better/more automated way.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome