Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to organize stories with stepped building

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty sure that someone out there had this happened but I could not find the topic that discusses it.
How do you manage and deal with story settings when the building steps up and down along the site? I mainly refer to cutting plane which won't work for all of them, ground floors at the same level of basements or first/second levels and so forth...
I'm on AC14 at the moment but if AC12 has a different way to deal with it that could be useful to know it too

Cheers
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our company deals with this in residential housing.

Basically, we pick an elevation to be the Finished Floor of that story, then drop the bottom/base of the walls below that Finished Floor as needed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your reply.

from the feedback received (only you) looks like that it's still an unresolved issue.

I tried to picture your way to solve/get around the issue, though it looks to me a system that would make the model not as it should be. The floor plan may'd look correct, but the elevations, sections and 3D won't, am I right?
Anonymous
Not applicable
The elevations will be right as well. This is how I do a split-level house. For instance, on the split level part of a house, I would still do a basement level and first floor level. The base of the walls on the first floor would be higher than 0 elevation. The walls on the basement level would extend up past the first floor finished floor to meet the walls above on the first floor. Hope this makes sense.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Deviz,

Think how you would present the plans if you were drawing them by hand; which areas would you display on which floorplan?

Bearing this in mind, I would model the walls in single storey height segments, with their floorplan display set to 'Symbolic'. Set them to show on 'Home Storey Only' using the storey that they should display on as their 'Home Storey'.

Use 'Show on Home Storey Only' and 'Symbolic' for all other elements as well, and you should be able to adjust their heights and relative levels without them appearing on other storeys, and they will continue to look correct on the floorplan.

Hope that helps.
symbolic_windows_walls.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply, very clear indeed.

I am not sure how would that deal with situations where walls are angled in section. Would the line on the ground be shown correct with 'symbolic cut', would be showed a nominal line, or nothing at all?

Although I have been dealing with that issue as you've described as well, I was hoping that there was as smarter way to do it, I mean, a way where ArchiCAD would allow users to adjust cutting planes as architects would love to do: graphically.
I imagine a tool that looks like a fill, not printable, that allows to be split in multiple sub-areas. Each one of those is the cutting plane of the area that covers.

Dreaming?
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you MUST have different cutting planes you could do it with a series of views, each with their own FPCP setting, and stitch them together on the Layout. This could get tricky with overlapping information (notes, dimensions etc.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
A bit out of topic - Claudio, what kind of animal is this?
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Kliment, it is an Aus Wombat
and some pics
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanx, Rod, funny fauna you have there in Australia!