Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you go about creating this? (accurately)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm in the process of making a rough model of part of a building concept at University. I'm quite familiar with the tools in ArchiCAD but since this structure is not 'typical' the tools don't seem to accommodate, or at least not in the way I would like them to.

I've tried creating this elevation (image attached of model) with a mesh, since the outlines of the elevation were created in ArchiCAD (2D fill), however, I can't rotate the Mesh on the y axis i.e it's drawn on plan but in 3D it needs to be rotates 90 degrees so it becomes a wall.

I've also tried creating each piece of the wall using OBJECTiVE but again, this takes far too long and I'm still left with empty spaces on the wall. ( the Model shows that there are walls protruding inside and outside of other elements)

I guess the mesh could work but it's just that it doesn't look like it can be rotated in 3D.

Thank you for your help.

PS I know the concept may look 'crazy' ( well contemporary architecture) but that's what they want in Architecture school these days...

photo.JPG
49 REPLIES 49
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
NStocks wrote:
All the planes are flat, they are just not a a 90 degree angle. Below is a image of the fills I've used to created each separate piece of the elevation, which obviously creates the outlines of the elevation. By hi lighting the profiles you can see the different shapes that have made the elevation - that is shapes go in and out of what would be the boundary line (if that makes sense)
The image seems to be missing.

I'm still not sure where the process is going wrong. Are you doing something like the following:
  • 1. Create the primary/major building surfaces, but not necessary the correct shape.
    2. Use the Split tool to cut the surfaces where they intersect. You may need to rotate the whole assembly to an appropriate working plane to do this.
    3. Create the secondary surfaces to close gaps by rotating the whole assembly such that the vertices of the opening are on a level plane and tracing over the required opening size.
OBJECTiVE's rotation is not limited to 90 degrees or to any particular axis, so this should be achievable.
Not quite.

I'm drawing around each shape individually, creating separate profiles with OBJECTiVE (elevations). In 3D they all lines up, then I rotate them all to 90 degrees. I then select the ones I need and rotate then around 20 degrees or whatever they need to be. I'm then left with gaps everywhere (understandable) It just takes a long time to try and make the separate pieces line up again...

Link below is an internal image of part of the sketch model. if you look on the 3rd image you can see the profiles and lines that I cut or scored to fold or pull away from the main structure. Internally there are walls that were created with custom-cut pieces, that were only put on the model, but will need to be added in ArchiCAD.

I then need to rotate pieces 'vertically 'inside' the building to create openings (model shows this)

I will try it again with your method, Ralph. Do you mean create 2 copies of the same profiles to close gaps ?

Thank You

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1055166/image-1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's slowly getting there... I just very, very fiddly!

Once it's finished, would I leave the plans as they are or should I draw over them so they make more sense? For example, some pieces have been rotated with OBJECTiVE so they are 90degrees, which means the should be straight lines on plan, not angled profiles

Screen shot below with a plan and 3D view.

Thank You
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
It's slowly getting there... I just very, very fiddly!
Once it's finished, would I leave the plans as they are or should I draw over them so they make more sense?
I'm pleased to hear you've made some progress. Regarding the plan view - if any view isn't intelligible, then by all means add whatever is required to improve it. Sometimes a literal illustration isn't the best way to communicate an idea.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi Nstocks !

When seeing this kind of surfaces, I think sketchup would be a better choice as you could manipulate there surfaces way easily than you could in Archiad ( until an easy integrated modeler will see the light inside archicad )...just my opinion

PS: for the concept, is this a sort of "fold'ed' architecture" ?
AC12_27 |Win11_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
TMA_80 wrote:
Hi Nstocks !

When seeing this kind of surfaces, I think sketchup would be a better choice as you could manipulate there surfaces way easily than you could in Archiad ( until an easy integrated modeler will see the light inside archicad )...just my opinion

PS: for the concept, is this a sort of "fold'ed' architecture" ?
I've tried Sketchup but I find it 'stupid'. I try to draw lines on the blue axis but it turns out they were put on the red axis etc. The same goes for rotating things, I just can't figure it out!

It is a kind of folded Architecture but my main concept is 'hidden'. Could you elaborate on 'Folded Architecture' I'm looking for research examples etc.

Thank You
TMA_80
Enthusiast
once you've mastered (which not difficult at all ) to draw in sketchup you'll see there is no doubt for this kind of shapes sketchup is the 'king'.
NStocks wrote:
It is a kind of folded Architecture but my main concept is 'hidden'. Could you elaborate on 'Folded Architecture' I'm looking for research examples etc
except readings here and there, i'm not able to give you a viable explanation. you could have a look at (archinect, pushpullbar, archdaily...etc )...and was expecting explanation of the hidden concept
AC12_27 |Win11_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
TMA_80 wrote:
once you've mastered (which not difficult at all ) to draw in sketchup you'll see there is no doubt for this kind of shapes sketchup is the 'king'.
NStocks wrote:
It is a kind of folded Architecture but my main concept is 'hidden'. Could you elaborate on 'Folded Architecture' I'm looking for research examples etc
except readings here and there, i'm not able to give you a viable explanation. you could have a look at (archinect, pushpullbar, archdaily...etc )...and was expecting explanation of the hidden concept
My project is to create a bakery. I've looked at society in general and what's already on offer and concluded: We are always faced with advertisements on 'bad food' like MCdonalds, Chocolate, junk food etc. and I feel that this is leading towards obesity and health problems (especially with the younger generations, 5, 6 years old). The consumer is being exploited and they don't even know it - you see the 'new' chocolate bar and immediately want it, but do you really need it, what would the consequence be if in 5 years a new product came out every week that was bad for you and every bus stop, billboard, store window, tv advert etc. etc. was advertising it? The consumer would want more and more because they know it's so easily available to them and they know they can get what they want. So I've created a conceptual drawing on 'Censored Ads' i.e all this advertising should be banned. hence the 'hidden' theme.

My Bakery is still going to sell the typical bakery products (though I did put my idea across about having 'healthy' sweets), but instead of having it look traditional, with the 'Bakery' look and feel, such as the windows, doors and general fabric of the building, I wanted to create a bakery that well, didn't look like a bakery (sales are not our focus point!). By having 'hidden' spaces within the wall I can 'ask' the consumer to look to see what's inside, they will need to 'work' for it, rather than having it blatantly displayed to them on a flat wall/window... It's not just about the fact that the windows are 'odd' shapes, but it's contemporary architecture, it's not just influenced by the site shape and location but the philosophical approach to the use of the building...

Please add anything you can think of, or tell me I'm wrong ...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I seem to have reached and troublesome plane. When drawn, it was aligned with the bottom of other profiles (floor) but when it's rotated, I loose some height. What is the best way or 'adding' another piece to the gap as shown in the image below, without having to re-draw it all ?

Thank You
Screen shot 2010-11-09 at 19.54.46.png
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
NStocks wrote:
I seem to have reached and troublesome plane. When drawn, it was aligned with the bottom of other profiles (floor) but when it's rotated, I loose some height. What is the best way or 'adding' another piece to the gap as shown in the image below, without having to re-draw it all ?
Can you add a couple of lines to your illustration (sketched if you like) to show the edge that you want to extend (and to where)?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've attached a image of the piece that needs to be extended... It needs to be at an angle though because it has been rotated at an angle, the bottom line is not straight, it needs to be extended to the floor...This issue will occur on around 12 pieces.

I've also circled 2 parts that I need help with. When I rotate pieces using either objective or Command E depending on the circumstance, 2 or more pieces cross... One way around it is to rotate each piece to try and make them fit (trial and error)... is there any other way of 'merging' them? (SEO doesn't work)

I've also imported this into Sketchup which makes it easier to 'merge' the pieces but the problem is when I re-import it into ArchiCAD as .3DS I can no longer edit it... (and I want to go from AR to SU back to AR as I feel SU is actually difficult to use!)

Thank You