Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Howto: Specify a fill to an uncut wall...?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have some partial-height walls that show as "uncut" on plan.

In Floor Plan and Section of the element's Info Box, I can specify uncut outline pens, but can't find anywhere to specify a fill. Unlike Slab elements, "Cover Fill" is not available.

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
From what I have read, cover fills were introduced to make use of the properties of all ready created elements to represent materials better in plan view and to reduce manual drafting of fills.

As far as I know there is no option for this with walls, but its worth a wish.

For now though you may need to stick with manual fills.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or.....You could lower your floor cut plane and then choose a solid or vectorial fill for the lower wall.

Its not ideal as you may miss out on more important info like windows that are higher up.
Anonymous
Not applicable
And of course since cut plane can be separate per view; for now two views, one for short wall view, one for normal might work for you?
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, being able to control the floor cut plane in view settings is very powerful. Hope that has helped you a with your query.
JaredBanks
Mentor
You could also set the half wall to symbolic cut and use the same fill trick. I do that on occasion. Or, if the wall has a cap. Make the cap out of a slab and turn on the cover fill on that.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice trick.
Never thought of doing that.
Thanks Jared
Anonymous
Not applicable
JaredBanks wrote:
You could also set the half wall to symbolic cut and use the same fill trick.
Thanks for the suggestion, Jared - I hadn't noticed the Symbolic Cut option there, and have never used it before. Brilliant!.

However, a vectorial or solid fill can not be specified over the whole element, where the wall has a Composite Structure, without changing the Composite Structure. I don't want to do that, because I want to be able to use Composite Structure calculations in a quantity takeoff later on.

So here's my solution - to have a solid fill on an uncut wall, where the wall has a Composite Structure:

1) Make sure Cut Fills are set to show in the Model View Options of your View.

2) Add a new pen assignment to your Pen Set. I've assigned the 8th row of my Pen Sets to be the "Uncut Cover Fill" pen. So in the case of walls, this is pen 147 ("Walls - Uncut Cover Fills").

3) Select the wall(s), and in select Info Box > Floor Plan and Section, select the following:
a) Floor Plan Display > Symbolic Cut.
b) Tick off all "Apply Stucture's Settings" boxes.
c) Set the Cut Fill, Cut Fill Background and Separator Line pens to 147.
d) Set the Cut Line pen to 87 ("Walls - Outlines")

Note: I've changed the original title of this thread to reflect the result.