Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

I need help with hidden contours.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm, as alwys, in desperate need of help and this time it's about hidden objects and line types... As shown in the attachment, I have a triangular corner in my building. The walls are all concrete and the corner has a bottom and top slab (Floor and roof). The problem occurs when I want to look at the corner in section view of the model and I want the section to look as the right part of the attacehd image, that is with dotted lines. We're engineers using AC and questions like this is actually about the only thing that grudges our perpendicular minds. So if anyone has a smart work-around I'm more than happy.

I know that nor a slab nor a wall can have different line types in section so I have to work-around this one...but I haven't figured out a smart way yet...

Cheers,

Mats

skymd-kontur.jpg
7 REPLIES 7
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The Special Menu has an option to 'Show special lines'. Turn that on. Also under the Special menu is 'Special Hidden Line' - that is where you set the linetype for the special hidden line. As you can tell, it's all very special. Play around with the 'Maximum of line length' value (measured in metres) for some fun effects.

A different, yet very effective, workaround is using a screening technique similar to the one mentioned here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=2422&highlight=#2422

Good luck.

Cheers,
Link.
Djordje
Ace
mathome wrote:
this is actually about the only thing that grudges our perpendicular minds.
What grudges my lateral mind is why, oh WHY the people still use black background ... no need to in AutoCAD, completely destroying the purpose of WYSIWIG in ArchiCAD!!!!!

VGA monitors are obsolete some 20 years ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
See if this thread helps:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=470

It looks like you might still need to change a few lines: options then include either (a) using the patch tool or (b) using screening - follow Link's links, or (c) copying the section content to the right of the live section and editing the linework in the copy ... and making sure the copy is what you display in PM and not the original [or the variant of unlinking ... but I prefer not to unlink...debates on that issue elsewhere!]...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
See if this thread helps:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=470

It looks like you might still need to change a few lines: options then include either (a) using the patch tool or (b) using screening - follow Link's links, or (c) copying the section content to the right of the live section and editing the linework in the copy ... and making sure the copy is what you display in PM and not the original [or the variant of unlinking ... but I prefer not to unlink...debates on that issue elsewhere!]...

Karl
Karl,

I read the link about screening and I wonder what will happen when I export dwg's? It must be confusing!?
I also tried the special menu without really understanding what happened. The last way out is unlinking...sniff.

Djordje,

I changed background colour to salmon pink. Looks much better!..😉

/Mats
Karl Ottenstein
mathome wrote:
I read the link about screening and I wonder what will happen when I export dwg's? It must be confusing!?
Yeah, appearance and reality will clash at that point. The screening fill can get exported, but the person looking at the dwg will wonder why a dashed line wasn't used...

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
mathome wrote:
Yeah, appearance and reality will clash at that point. The screening fill can get exported, but the person looking at the dwg will wonder why a dashed line wasn't used...

Karl
This is the best I could come up with. I wonder who I should talk to concerning how to change the representation of the hidden lines. The hidden lines from the cutting plane is different from the hidden line from corners and wall sides as shown in the attachment. Since AC recognizes the difference it would be a peace of cake to have the pen colour/linetype as options for these two cathegories...right!?

And...even if I get these options...the sections of the whole building gets cluttered when this feature is turned on...

Karl Ottenstein
mathome wrote:
This is the best I could come up with. I wonder who I should talk to concerning how to change the representation of the hidden lines.
Post in the wishlist forum. Of course, the Special Menu is officially unsupported, so the easy answer from GS is that they do not support or improve features there. So, in your wish, you should argue why the hidden lines is an important feature for you ... and then of course the pen selection too. You can change the linetype from the special menu...and the pen is the same pen as the contour pen AFAIK.

Karl