Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

I need some help, guys

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am a contractor/designer and I have had problems with people taking my plans that I have drawn for them and using them with another contractor.

Just like today, drew up plans for a 2 car garage with a loft above it, I lost the job because of $400.

How do I go about charging for my designs but giving them the choice to choice a different contractor?

BTW- I am not a post w*ore. I just have a lot of questions.
3 REPLIES 3
TomWaltz
Participant
Cole_Construction wrote:
I am a contractor/designer and I have had problems with people taking my plans that I have drawn for them and using them with another contractor.

Just like today, drew up plans for a 2 car garage with a loft above it, I lost the job because of $400.

How do I go about charging for my designs but giving them the choice to choice a different contractor?
That's an interesting question..... I'm assuming your primary goal is to have someone hire you for design and build services.

I don't know if you want to be in the position of designing something and having someone else build it or not. You might be able to create some kind of pricing structure where you charge more for the design and "discount" the construction if they use you as the contractor. You actually are charging the same as before, you are just dividing it differently, so you come out a little ahead if they use someone else...

Just my late-night ramblings on how to make a little $$.... and to get my 900th post 😉
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
Cole_Construction wrote:
the same way architects split their services between feasibility, design, contract issue and site observation/contact management?

if you're gonna steal our work, you've gotta take the pitfalls that go with it, eh?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
The 'Journal of Light Construction' has lots of articles on how to charge design and other non-construction work, with sample forms and documents and all, aimed at home builders and remodellers. You can probably check a few at jlconline.com, and I would recommend buying one of their 5-year CDs with all their articles in PDF format (searchable, copy-pasteable, etc.).