Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Increasing File Size

Anonymous
Not applicable
This has me beat - I posted a couple of weeks age about a masterplan taking ages to update modules. I gave up yesterday at work (on a PC) and decided to work at home (on Mac G5)... same problem but now more complex, The base PLN files (there are 6 house types, 30in all, all simple) start out at 1-2mb but with very few changes i.e. shift a wall or adjust a window the file size "grows" always the same 9mb, then 34mb, then 67mb until the PLN stalls - I have never had a crash or stall on the G5. The walls are the problem - they take forever to copy and paste. No doubles.. I checked. I remodelled a House Type (800K) and within 2 minor changes "grew" to 67mb. This is driving me crazy as I was doing more complex work years ago on v.5 on v. modest computers. The only solution as far as I can see is to save out each plan as a DWG and hand the whole lot over to the Autocad side of the office and drive by hand sketches.. this is serious as half the office have recently been on Archicad course and are keen ... this is the first serious problem I've ever had and I have a meeting tomorrow with nothing to show...
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you looked at this thread?

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=33121#33121

woodster
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have tried that - even copied and pasted each storey into a new file with a unit type that was still a modest 16mb and file size is identical. A 16mb file is no problem but the master site plan can't handle updating 30 units of 16-67mb. I did a 24 unit development last year using same method with no problems - this was later fully documented in Archicad (8.1) again with no probs
Anonymous
Not applicable
The 67mb unit takes forever to open - 'the wheel keeps spinning' -but when it does, while the 3D rebuild is instant, try to copy and paste a single wall to another storey you'd think I'd asked it to copy an entire city block. The problem is with the walls, everything else is instant. Have turned off 3d view options of all library parts even tho' this wasn't a problem. This project has been on the go for 2 months and has been tweaked and revised but with no real increase in complexity. Had one unit about a month ago that grew to 67mb - I remodelled that one and it has stayed at 1-2mb, the only one that has. No luck with the same method now
Djordje
Ace
Harry,

Did you try forward merge of the master file?

Are your modules PLNs or MODs?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djorde,
They were MOD files, i.e. 'save as' Module to take into the site plan only that that I wanted. Have now remodelled the offending files back to 8/900k, deleted all MODs from site plan and brought in the PLN files storey by storey. Took an afternoon but all seems under control - Site PLN down to a modest 10mb. Will see what happens as the PLN files grow during design development. Seems there was some sort of looping from source file to master file and back - the MODs had editable windows that could be deleted leaving the 'grouped' window in its wall. Strange