Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Input of coordinates etc

Anonymous
Not applicable
Right,
previously in ArchiCAD (up until 8 I think) I could work with the shift key nicely controlling what I do. eg:
Begin drawing a wall... hold down shift key and then hit 'Alt A' to constrain in the horizontal or vertical or set custom angle etc... Release all keys and confidently zoom into a particular point (often initially off screen) to finish drawing the wall to an accurate length.
eg 2:
Take a line / wall etc... initiate graphical stretch by clicking on end node... hold down shift key to constrain angle to the line / walls original angle orientation... then hit 'Alt A' ... 'R' coordinate now displays overall length of line / wall and can be edited directly by hitting 'R' etc...

These no longer work as now once the shift key is held, 'Alt' shortcuts to the coordinate boxes dont work.

I found that variations of these two examples led to fast accurate work in a number of different situations.
What is the new method for acheiving the same results?

Simon M

2.6Ghz PC Win XP 512mb ArchiCAD 8.1
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
You will have to continue to hold the shift key. Zoom in with the scroll wheel. The regular zoom command will mess up the constraint. (Actually better than the old way IMHO.)
Constantin Catana
Participant
Maybe help this:
Try cleaning preferences files. Worked fine for me.
(they are in: \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Graphisoft)

see and: http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=770
Constantin
MG Building Design, Timisoara, Romania

ArchiCAD 8.0 R3, XP SP1
tsturm
Newcomer
Dear Simon

Not sure exactly how you are entering you information while using the shift keys.

The process I like to use goes as follows.

Wall tool.
If I want a wall placed at 23 degrees here is the process without a mouse constraint set at 23 degrees. Click start of wall. Move cursor in direction of wall position. Hit the "A" key, enter 23, then hit "R" key and enter your distance.

This process takes advantage of vector coordinate entry versus polar(x,y).

I use this even if I am using the shift key to constrain on the predefine angles such as 90's and 45's. Using the "R" will be fast and accurate as this will be the lenght of the wall or line or segment. If you should need to enter in a position which would be in the negative direction of the X axis, then remember that to count the angle starting from 3 o'clock position as 0 degrees and going counter clock wise as increasing degrees to get your angle.

Example of 10 o'clock would be about 150 degrees.

Hopes this helps with inputting information.

If you are drawing a very long line or wall which the end of goes beyond your window after you enter the "R" distance the tool will show a "rubber band" while still allowing you to enter the next point. This assumes you have the tool set to multi segments. If you are good at entering your angles and lengths you could do the entire perimeter of a building without ever having to see the points you enter or panning the screen until the last spot where you will need to click twice to stop the process.

Hope this helps.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
tsturm wrote:
Hit the "A" key, enter 23, then hit "R" key and enter your distance.

This process takes advantage of vector coordinate entry versus polar(x,y).
Please excuse my pickiness, but I believe that vector coordinates are expressed as (x,y) and polar coordinates as (r,a)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm, yeah alright. Thanks Matt, running around with the zoom wheel does basically work for my first example, I don't agree that it is a better system, it still takes me longer to navigate with the zoom wheel than for example to go 'view previous' 'zoom in' again etc.

I also think there are subtleties in the original function that have been lost, (see eg. 2) At a simple level... surely I should be able to start drawing... hold shift... then LOCK THE ANGLE coordinate and finish drawing...
Basic.

So I think it is a feature lost. And yes it is hard to change your habits with a new release all of a sudden eh.

Thanks tsturm, your advice is familiar to me.

cheers Simon M

2.6Ghz PC Win XP 512mb ArchiCAD 8.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
although new to archicad
I think holding shift will lock you in predefined angle snaps (0 90 45)

I you want to lock e.g at an angle of 5
Just press alt+a enter the value 5 and you will be locked at the desired angle.
It is very simple.

I you want to lock the x coord just go over a point and press alt+x
you will be able to move only in y direction.

I hope i helped
Anonymous
Not applicable
Despite a mixed response to my initial posting of this small point, since applying the lastest patch it now works exactly as I remember it pre - 8.0. Really - it is very helpful. I can't imagine how people work without it. (ok I know people work in all sorts of different ways!) I think it is fantastic and good on Graphisoft for working their way through the details. Whether it was my post or internal review processes that brought it up... I would just say: Cheers People!!

Right,
previously in ArchiCAD (up until 8 I think) I could work with the shift key nicely controlling what I do. eg:
Begin drawing a wall... hold down shift key and then hit 'Alt A' to constrain in the horizontal or vertical or set custom angle etc... Release all keys and confidently zoom into a particular point (often initially off screen) to finish drawing the wall to an accurate length.
eg 2:
Take a line / wall etc... initiate graphical stretch by clicking on end node... hold down shift key to constrain angle to the line / walls original angle orientation... then hit 'Alt A' ... 'R' coordinate now displays overall length of line / wall and can be edited directly by hitting 'R' etc...

These no longer work as now once the shift key is held, 'Alt' shortcuts to the coordinate boxes dont work.

Still believing,
Simon,
2.6Ghz PC Win XP 512mb
128mb nVidia Quadro 750XGL AGP
ArchiCAD 8.1.0 R2 INT 2284