Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Instanced hotlinked module element ID's

Kaspars
Booster

Hi,

I would like to hotlink some part of building (e.g. WC room walls in hospital) and multiple it many times, so if some changes in the module should be made, that would be easy.

But the problem is - the door opening ID's should be individual in All the building, regardless the doors are the same type or not. So their number in my project are driven by storey number combined with number manually written in Archicad Doors ID field. As far as I know it is impossible to change ID's of hotlinked element instances. So no hotlinks for me 😕 

I wonder, is there a solution to this?

Kaspars

12 REPLIES 12

You can work with Property Expressions to get around that. If I understand correctly, you want different Properties for different Element types even if the Hotlink Master ID is the same.

This is made possible by the fact that a Property definition can include multiple Expressions, each in a new row in the Property Manager Dialog, processed one after the other until one gives a valid result.

For example, you could create multiple Expressions for the same Property (let us call it "ElemSpecificProperty"), something like this:

Let us say, your Hotlink Master ID is "M-01", "M-02", etc.

IF Element = Door then ElemSpecificProperty = "D-01" (First character is "D", rest is the "-01" portion of the Hotlink Master ID)

IF Element = Window then ElemSpecificProperty = "W-01" (First character is "W", rest is the "-01" portion of the Hotlink Master ID)

Then you would use this "intermediate" ElemSpecificProperty value in the Expression defing your Property, which would be: 

=Home Story + ElemSpecificProperty + ID.

Let us say the Element ID is "01", and the elements are on Story 2 so the Home Story parameter is "02".

In this case, the Property value

for a Door coming from Hotlinked Module "M-01" would be "02-D-01-001"

for a Door coming from Hotlinked Module "M-02" it would be "02-D-02-001"

and so on. The Property value

for a Window coming from Hotlinked Module "M-01" would be "02-W-01-001"

for a Window coming from Hotlinked Module "M-02" it would be "02-W-02-001"

and so on.

So, they are in the same Hotlinked Module, they have the same ID, they are on the same Story, but with the introduction of an intermediate, element-specific Property into the Expression, their Property value can be different.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
davidstonearchicad21
Contributor

I’ve been attempting to do a similar thing to display our door IDs the way the company wants on the plans that show them (our ‘key plans’) and listed in an interactive schedule of doors from Hotlinked and non Hotlinked sources.

The problem I’m running into is when we get to the interactive schedule.. we get weird behaviour. For example if I use the Hotlinked Door Context ID property it displays all door IDs (master+element) from all sources(Hotlinked and host). But when I make a duplicate of the property, the new copy can’t display doors from Hotlinked sources but can display doors from the host file. And it’s a direct copy…

I closed the schedule and reopened from view map to refresh it, the problem remains.

Oddly the Dynamic ID by classification only displays doors from hotlinks. 

any ideas?

to assist with the screenshot below:

copy (1) is a direct copy

copy (2) is a direct copy with added “D.”

out of the box Property is in the middle of the two 

(having trouble uploading a jpeg photo from my phone. The size is less than 5mb but it accepts .jpg not .jpeg so it’s a little difficult to upload using a phone!)

AC24

2 x Xeon E5-2667 v2 (16c/32t @ 3.3-4.0 GHz)

64Gb RAM(ECC) Quad channel 1333Ghz (next upgrade 1866Ghz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb

500Gb 840PRO SSD, 3 TB HDD (next upgrade PCIe NVMe SSD)

Thank for your reply. I got the solution.

redactle