BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Intersection of different objects vs display order

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I'm having trouble understanding the logic of Display Order in 2D plan view versus the intersection abilities of the Layer Intersection Group.

See attached example.

The two walls are on different layers, with their Layer Intersection numbers at 1, so they intersect. The wall going left right has a higher Building Material priority "strength" than the wall going up down (insulation), thus, in 3D, the concrete blockwall correctly goes through the Insulation wall.

HOWEVER, in 2D, by using the Display Order, I am able to override this, which seems counter-intuitive and dangerous.

Isn't this going against the purpose of this software? I.e. for 3D modelling to accurately represent itself automatically in 2D drawings...?

If anyone could shed some light about this phenomenon that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

intersection.jpg
16 REPLIES 16
Barry Kelly
benjamin_chan wrote:
HOWEVER, in 2D, by using the Display Order, I am able to override this, which seems counter-intuitive and dangerous.

Isn't this going against the purpose of this software? I.e. for 3D modelling to accurately represent itself automatically in 2D drawings...?

If anyone could shed some light about this phenomenon that would be appreciated.
It is automatic.
You are manually adjusting the 2D display.
You would only do this if you had a reason to do so.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is automatic.
You are manually adjusting the 2D display.
You would only do this if you had a reason to do so.

Barry.
Yes, I understand that. I guess my question is why would ARCHICAD give you the ability to manually adjust something that would inaccurately reflect what is happening in 3D.
Barry Kelly
The 2D plan view is just a symbolic representation of the 3D top view.
I guess Archicad is letting you choose how you want that representation to behave.

Having said that I was just experimenting and I can not bring the display of a weaker BM wall in front of a stronger one.
Unless I turn the 'Clean Wall & Beam Intersections' option off in the on screen display options.
Which is not something you would not want to do as your corner wall intersections will not trim properly.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
The 2D plan view is just a symbolic representation of the 3D top view.
I guess Archicad is letting you choose how you want that representation to behave.

Having said that I was just experimenting and I can not bring the display of a weaker BM wall in front of a stronger one.
Unless I turn the 'Clean Wall & Beam Intersections' option off in the on screen display options.
Which is not something you would not want to do as your corner wall intersections will not trim properly.

Barry.
That seems reasonable, thanks Barry.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have encountered another scenario which I find very puzzling. I have a conventional 3D model of a house where walls sit on top of the slab. However, in 2D, using the display order, I can very easily put the slab on top of the walls. But obviously the slab hasn't moved.

Why would this feature be available? I can't see a scenario in which in 2D you want to "cheat' the display order of how you have modelled it in 3D.
Barry Kelly
You probably wouldn't want to do that with a floor slab.
But maybe you have a bench top or shelf - add a cover fill and bring to front and it will hide what ever is below - if you want to do that.
Or you could add a 50% cover fill to your floor slab and bring that to the front to help show the extent of the slab.

Most of the time the default order is perfectly fine, but there will be occasions when you want to change it.

Fills for example will always default to the background - but there are times when you will want to pull these forward.

Basically if it looks good, leave it. But you have the option to change it if you want.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm OK - thanks Barry. Will take time to get my head around it.
Bruce
Expert
benjamin_chan, if I had to guess, I would say you are coming over from Revit.

Revit will do a live model display, which prevents things like you mention, but also slows down your model.

ARCHICAD uses interpretive display, which makes for much faster refresh, but means the display order is up to the user.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Bruce,
Interestingly no - I come from the land of Vectorworks & SketchUp, and the occasional AutoCAD.

Thanks for the explanation.
Ben
Learn and get certified!