Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Locating Jobs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there anywhere someone can look to see the firms that use ArchiCAD so you can apply or submit resumes to the correct people? I live in Nashville TN and if I just blindly put out resumes to every firm or construction firm or any potential AC client that would be over 400 resumes. At .42 for postage thats a hefty price to get your name out there.

I know the market is slow and not a lot are hiring but I would still like to get my name out there so when it does pick up I know exactly who to send my resume/portfolio to. I know the resellers have a list of clients but they have their own businesses to run and probably don't want to give out a list of names to people. (Which I don't blame them)

Just trying to figure out how to get my info to the right people.
45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable
And what an expert he is!

About 15 different firms from which at least 13 on AutoCad, the one program he praises the most.
Or he should be almost retired so I understand certain frustration with new technology or he's one of the most unreliable / malcontent / incompetent / ... workers I know of...

I'm still waiting for his first founded criticism
Dwight
Newcomer
I know that for an Archicad forum to accept that our colleague has given good advice might seem outrageous, but I feel he is right.

To advise ANY young person about their future would include:

— broaden your skills to include other software and management ability.
— don't rely solely on Archicad skills, learn how to assemble a building.
— if you are artistic, 3Ds Max skills are a great asset.
Dwight Atkinson
on a similar topic,

Why is it that so many ArchiCAD fims do not want to use someone working from a remote location? All I can see are the advantages.

Any computer in the world can be as close as the screen in front of you.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Erika Epstein
Booster
Steve wrote:
Why is it that so many ArchiCAD fims do not want to use someone working from a remote location? All I can see are the advantages.
I think many of us underestimate the comfort zone of others. Working remotely may seem like second nature to many of us. But, for those who haven't employed someone who works remotely they are working in a new way and unable to supervise this work as often and in a way (live and in person) that they are used to doing.

Part of our job then is helping these potential employers become comfortable with this process.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
on a similar topic,

Depends on the firm. I will soon be looking for a couple of ArchiCAD freelancers who basically have to be remote. I have not finalised my requirements yet but I will post on the job board when ready.
Does anyone have experience using Elance ?

http://www.elance.com/p/landing/provider.html?source=index

I signed up today and have bid on two jobs already.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
Does anyone have experience using Elance ?
Thanks for the heads up
before you sign up research "Elance promotion code"

also, be very careful.

http://www.allfreelance.com/freelancing_blog/2007/07/26/should-you-use-elance-to-sell-your-freelance...

oh... and if you see me bidding on a job, leave it alone

If you could collect your pay in US dollars and live in India you could live like a king.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IN/Country=India/Hourly_Rate

this web site says that the average pay for an architect is Rs 75/hr ???

Rs 75 = $1.55 USD

Don't expect to win many bids on Elance if you are living in a western country.

Shot at 2009-07-22

Ever been to Shimla? Looks like Oregon to me.

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/319321.html

TomWaltz
Participant
Steve wrote:

In a vacuum, yes, that's true.

In the real world, you have to deal with who is signed into the model, sending and receiving from remote locations, coordinating library versions/changes, coordinating linked files,, and managing quality, which is hard enough with people physically in the same location.

It might work on a small project, but projects of any size are much more difficult to do with anyone outside the firewall.
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz wrote:
Steve wrote:

In a vacuum, yes, that's true.

In the real world, you have to deal with who is signed into the model, sending and receiving from remote locations, coordinating library versions/changes, coordinating linked files,, and managing quality, which is hard enough with people physically in the same location.

It might work on a small project, but projects of any size are much more difficult to do with anyone outside the firewall.
But the problems you described are not any different no matter how far apart the computers are.

I have worked in offices with a dozen or so cubicals, and on sperate floors. You can't see the people your working with anyway. We used the speaker phone, an instant messenger, and web cams. When we did meet together it was for the most part counter productive. I have worked for days thinking the guy two cubicles away was in the office, only to find out when I stand up to talk over the cubical wall that he has been gone for a week! He was working on site, down at Starbucks, at home, his hotel, etc...The truth is that if we work from a computer, we are working from a remote location.

Keeping the employees around just to decorate the office is probably a more important reason for why so many firms do not want the work done out of the office than will be admitted. Image is everything to some.

We need an impressive building, filled with lots of staff moving around to show the client why our overhead is $100.00/hr before we add anything at all for design fees.

This would be impossible if all but a few were working from their own office all around the country.

Don't you think that any firm with employees could have at least one employee that works from a remote location, most of the time?

Perhaps you can get a carbon tax credit for each employee who works at least 90% of the time from a remote location and does not require transportaion ?

How long do you think it will be before every business is audited for their carbon foot print and will be looking for ways to use the technology they already have to use more employees working from a remote location that does not require transportation?

Just arround the corner is the government monitoring of the individual carbon footprint. This is also going to stimulate more work being done from a remote location.

You will no longer be able to build, buy, or sell a home without an energy audit and carbon footprint report.

You will be monitered by the government and taxed by the mile for driving your car.

This will also generate a need for more work to be done by employees that do not require any transportation by vehicles using carbon fules.

"Green" politics will change the way we work, and where we work.