Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

MASONRY ARCH

Anonymous
Not applicable
PLEASE HELP, I am putting masonry arches on curved walls, but I don't see anywhere where you can change a setting to curve the masonry arch, so that it fits into the arch I created on the curved wall. The arch adjusts with the curved wall, why cant the masonry arch almost do the same..he..he

Help please
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You could use SEO to achieve the curved effect.
Place the Masonry Arch but make it really thick.
Then use the Wall as Operator to cut the part of the Masonry Arch that goes into the Wall.
Then Draw another curved Wall parallel to your curved wall. The gap between them should be the desired thickness of the Masonry Arch.
Then SEO the Arch with this Wall as well.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
g_visagie wrote:
PLEASE HELP, I am putting masonry arches on curved walls, but I don't see anywhere where you can change a setting to curve the masonry arch, so that it fits into the arch I created on the curved wall. The arch adjusts with the curved wall, why cant the masonry arch almost do the same..
Try OBJECTiVE. You can bend profiled shapes to curves in more than one axis, so you can easily make an arch that also bends to a curve in plan:
  • 1. Draw a cross-section through the arch with the fill tool and use the menu OBJECTiVE > Component > New Profile to make a new section profile

2. Place one of the new profiles extending from one edge of the arch to the other (in a straight line.

3. Use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Bend to bend the profile to the required curve in plan.

4. View the arch in elevation, and again use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Bend to shape it to the correct curve in elevation.
Both ends of the profiled object can be parametrically extended to form straight sides too (if required).
Arch Example.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be good to have some solution without using outside add-on.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Markus wrote:
It would be good to have some solution without using outside add-on.
Of course. However, Graphisoft provide tools to develop GDL objects and add-ons because it isn't possible for them to solve every conceivable architectural modelling problem. And the software would probably become unusably complex if they tried.

It all comes down to the type of work you do. Many architects - probably the vast majority - can solve the problems they encounter day to day with ArchiCAD straight out of the box. If Graphisoft produce too many tools that leave the majority of users wondering how they will ever make use of them, it will generate a lot of ill will about the cost of the software. And - for architects exploring more complex forms - that's where 3rd parties can help. The tools are optional - if you need them, you buy them.

A thriving 3rd-party development community is a healthy thing - look what it's done for the iPhone. If you weigh up the cost of an add-on against the cost of the time you might spend trying to implement a work-around (or to learn to be a programmer), it's money well spent.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
People who work in GS firm are blind cos we wrote 10000 time what we need from this software and even now, after many years i cant rotate, i cant split objects (like your addon) and MANY MANY MORE (dont wannt to write all cos its writen before)

I cant belive that poeple like you dont work for GS.

Moi3d is pure modeler and with that program which have few commands im able to model anything ! Anything, like lets say rhino...(100 or more commands, didnt count

So, its not about complexity, its about idea !
Your addon have 4 commands and good idea and most of model work can be finish there. Its all about ideas and we finished brainstorming for GS. They know what we need and they will not give it to us maybe a little in next 25 years