cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Merging Bldg. with ArchiTerra Site Model

Dave Jochum
Advocate
What is the best (easiest/fastest/most accurate) method of correctly positioning (vertical elevation) a merged bldg. model into an ArchiTerra site model? As I've never worked with meshes, I'm not savy to the ins and outs of doing so. Any help appreciated.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
18 REPLIES 18
Dave Jochum
Advocate
I hit the send button on the previous post a little too quickly...

When merging two PLNs, one of the results is a merging of all layers from the two files. In the case of merging a building into a site model, it would be convenient if the building could come in on a single layer for easy selection and manipulation. Is there a clever workaround for this?
Dave Jochum
Jacek
Contributor
Dave wrote:
Is there a clever workaround for this?
Hmm, One way would it to save the building as a module and then import it into the A-Terra file.
Another, and that could depend on how complex the building model is, would be to show all elements of the building model, do a select -either with a thick markee or with a 'select all' manual -Arrow tool, or Copy and 'Save selection Set' to a designated layer. and then paste it into a new file or directly into the A-Terra file. Keep it grouped.

You will see in 3-D or in section/elevation that the elevations of each file may not correspond, you can Drag/Elevate the building to the desired elevation.
-may not be clever, but sure a workaround the block and then some...

Jacek
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
The old fashioned way (and still the best in some circumstances) is to save the buildings as library parts (from the 3D model of course) and just place them into the terrain model. I have done this for whole subdivisions and urban planning models and it works beautifully.

The really good part is that when a building changes, just resave, replacing the old part, and the planning model will update automatically. (I'm going to have to check if publisher can save a 3D view as a library part. I don't think so, but it would be cool.)
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Thanks jacek and Matthew for your ideas. The library part method seems to work well. I've not used modules before, but in reading up on them, you can only hotlink one story at a time, and in my case, I'd have to manage 6 hotlinks. Library management also becomes and issue. I don't really see a downside to the library part.
Dave Jochum
Dave Jochum
Advocate
This is rather bizzare, but after creating a library part of my bldg. 3D model and placing it in the A-Terra site, I have a scale problem. In plan, the bldg. is fine, however in section the vertical scale is compressed about 7%. Any ideas?
Dave Jochum
Jacek
Contributor
Dave wrote:
This is rather bizzare, but after creating a library part of my bldg. 3D model and placing it in the A-Terra site, I have a scale problem. In plan, the bldg. is fine, however in section the vertical scale is compressed about 7%. Any ideas?
Perhaps there is a connection with this problem?

http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=1322
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Jacek wrote:
Perhaps there is a connection with this problem?

http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=1322
I suppose it's possible, though I don't see why one would assume so. Could you elaborate? The glitch is actually quite a nuisance, as every time the bldg. model changes, the library part scales differently (vertical dimension only). I have to take measurements, adjust the height, then reposition with respect to the terrain.
Dave Jochum
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
In my opinion (and this is my suggestion), it's always better to do the contrary!
I mean, instead of merge the building in the terrain PLN file, merge the terrain into the building project as Hotlinked module.
If you have a project where there are more than one building (different ArchiCAD projects), the best way to handle the whole project is:

1. create a new empty document (for example call it "Final Project")
2. merge into this "Final Project" the Hotlinked Modules generated from all the others ArchiCAD files (from the PLN containing the different building and that one generated from the ArchiTerra project)
3. save this project

In this way, when you change something in the original/source files, the resulting "Final Project" will be automatically update once you open it.

Probably this procedure is just a bit boring for the building documents (because the hotlink modules works only on one story so you have to import each story of each bulding) but it's very fast for the ArchiTerra project (because usually it contains only one story).
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Anonymous
Not applicable
The approach of merging modules would be very appealing if not for the stories problem. Even in a relatively level site different buildings are likely to have different reference elevations and floor to floor heights. This means that one has to figure out the offsets for each story of each building relative to the corresponding stories of the planning (overall) model. I had to do this once for a school campus and it was a pain in the neck. In that case it was worth it as it was the only way it could work, but for urban planning, community presentations and the like I prefer the placed object approach.

Regarding the vertical scaling problem: I haven't had this problem myself (yet) so I am wondering if it is a bug in 8.1. I used this technique a few months ago in version 8.0 and did not have any problem (except for using 8.0 ). I'll have to test it this weekend. I'll be doing some more work for the city so it will give me the perfect opportunity.

Dave, are you experiencing this with every building you save as an object? And, more to the point, does it happen the first time it is placed or only after modifications? I am at a bit of a loss to understand why it is happening, so some more detail would be helpful.