Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Mesh Techniques?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I have an enquiry about meshes.

I have been using ArchiCAD 8 to 9 most of my career and I am currently getting into more of 10. In ArchiCAD 10 the mesh tool doesn't rely much on the magic wand too to initialize a different height setting. I am accustomed to using the magic wand tool and picking up 1 by 1 nodes/points to set the height on the line.

In archiCAD 10 is the pick up node and height method is not as efficient as before. It seems the point to point mesh method has changed....

Also if anyone has experience in drawing a large and accurate landscape using mesh tool I would like to hear from them. The mesh tool can be difficult to use when the excavated land requires many height differentials and levels.
In doing so is there a good method to keep your drawings ordered and easy to follow? My initial method is drawing mulit-lines, each 1m squared to keep in track of the contour lines and where it is following, although this still becomes confusing. I have heard of technique that changing the grid so that the lines become easier to follow, although I have never found that out.

I am trying to build a foundation plan for a school and estimate the amount of earth that is needed to be removed. The area has several heigh hills and rough dug outs caused by erosion etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
when i first starting working in architecture i cut my teeth in a sea of site design so the mesh tool is no stranger to me. if i don't speak to your point then forgive me but i will just elaborate on my style but here are a few pitfalls to avoid.

1- Too many Selection Dots: After using the Magic Wand to trace a survey the Ridge Lines would contain too many Selection Dots. In an large Mesh this would become problematic.

2- SEO: I would always avoid SEO's whenever possible. It seemed that at some point the model went from fast to slow in the blink of an eye and it was usually following an SEO. Obviously, to get cut/fill takeoffs you will need to do this but that is an end.

3- Heights: Your post implies you set the height of each Selection Dot which would take oodles of precious time. Why not pick the line Segment and set the entire Ridge to a specified height.

Otherwise, think logically about where you want to end up and make a decision as to how coarsely you can work. Doing so will prevent major headaches.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply.

I too try to avoid too many dots as well but this pot of land is immensely rough with various height differentials. There are almost 100 lines running through the mesh, each of its different levels.

I lose track of each height of each line and in the past I have labeled A1-A10 etc; of each line to keep track of what is happening on the plan.

I have suspected there has to be a better way of utilizing the mesh tool, or maybe the mesh tool in ArchiCAD is not as accurate & effective as it could be.....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Beancud wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

I lose track of each height of each line and in the past I have labeled A1-A10 etc; of each line to keep track of what is happening on the plan.
Have you tried the Level Dimension Tool w/ Mesh Gravity turned on. I believe the elevation will update as you move mesh around.