Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Mis-mesh

Anonymous
Not applicable
I constructed an organic form(a solid balcony) that clings to an acute angle corner of a two-story wall by drawing the profiles of the form every three inches using the mesh tool. Each 'slice' was drawn as a separate mesh. How can these be combined into a single mesh so it will render as a solid in the 3D window?
77 REPLIES 77
Djordje
Ace
garytom wrote:
This roof consists of two meshes(I tried to make it a single mesh) which meet at the center ridge.
Make it one mesh, and the holes will work. You know how to join the meshes, don't you?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmmm! Two conflicting answers from two experts. This IS a compelling forum! What to do? To Djordje: Do tell, please.
Djordje
Ace
garytom wrote:
Hmmmm! Two conflicting answers from two experts. This IS a compelling forum! What to do? To Djordje: Do tell, please.
Not conflicting at all

If you do subtract an overhanging shape you will get an error.

Join the meshes - use the pet pallette + on the edge of the selected first mesh, drag the nodes in 3D to required places, then subtract using pet palette's -.

Viola, to quote Duane ...
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Taa Daa! Djordje: I stand corrected! After re-reading Peter's post and your's, they are essentially the same. Thank you for the advice. You know, I'm finding out that it pays to just 'fool' around with the tools and their options, as well as with the pet palettes using small simple shapes. (I have mostly been reading the Training Guide) Doing this in conjunction with the expert advice I've been receiving has proven to be much more effective than using the hypothetical examples in the book that don't seem to cover a tool's total capability.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The skylight wells(which are designated targets) are not being trimmed by the mesh(designated operator) when SEO'd subtraction with downwards extrusion. The mesh is just shy of being flush to the inside face of each well, this prevents the edge of the roof plane from showing up on the inside faces of the wells. Any ideas?
Anonymous
Not applicable
garytom,
It appears you have made holes for the light wells at the outside
of the light well walls. Since the mesh has been subtracted at these locations
SEO will not work. Shrink the holes to the dimensions of the insides
of the light well walls and try the SEO again.
Peter Devlin
Barry Kelly
Peter wrote:
garytom,
It appears you have made holes for the light wells at the outside
of the light well walls. Since the mesh has been subtracted at these locations
SEO will not work. Shrink the holes to the dimensions of the insides
of the light well walls and try the SEO again.
Peter Devlin
Or if you are worried about seeing the roof lines on the inside of the light wells duplicate the roof mesh into another layer (that can be hidden when finished) and delete the holes all together.
Then use this to SEO with the light wells.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter: I probably should have posted this close-up showing that the mesh does indeed kiss the INSIDE face of the skylight wells. What's your take on it? Barry: If I SEO the skylight wells with this new 'hidden' mesh, are 'holes' automatically created in the process?
Barry Kelly
garytom wrote:
Peter: I probably should have posted this close-up showing that the mesh does indeed kiss the INSIDE face of the skylight wells. What's your take on it? Barry: If I SEO the skylight wells with this new 'hidden' mesh, are 'holes' automatically created in the process?
Garytom,
You wont be seeing the hidden mesh so it doesn't matter if it has holes or not.
I thought the one with holes (which you will keep as the one you will see in your model) wouldn't allow you to SEO the light well walls.
Therefore the need for the extra hidden mesh which is only used for the SEO operation.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Djordje
Ace
garytom wrote:
The skylight wells(which are designated targets) are not being trimmed by the mesh(designated operator) when SEO'd subtraction with downwards extrusion. The mesh is just shy of being flush to the inside face of each well, this prevents the edge of the roof plane from showing up on the inside faces of the wells. Any ideas?
If your design is finalized (ha!) do the Mesh to roof, trim the light well walls' bottoms to the roof.

Does the job?

It is however better to do the SEO with a copy of the same mesh.
Djordje

HP Omen

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!