Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Mis-mesh

Anonymous
Not applicable
I constructed an organic form(a solid balcony) that clings to an acute angle corner of a two-story wall by drawing the profiles of the form every three inches using the mesh tool. Each 'slice' was drawn as a separate mesh. How can these be combined into a single mesh so it will render as a solid in the 3D window?
77 REPLIES 77
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje: Your latter comment seems to corroborate with Barry Kelly's advice. Why is it better to do the SEO with a copy of the same mesh instead of a convert mesh to roof?
Djordje
Ace
garytom wrote:
Djordje: Your latter comment seems to corroborate with Barry Kelly's advice. Why is it better to do the SEO with a copy of the same mesh instead of a convert mesh to roof?
Your mesh is still a mesh, with all its advantages ...

... and shortcomings 😉 Don't forget meshes can be problematic and moody.

If you convert to roofs, you are going to have to think about gazillion roof planes, instead of one mesh.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje: I suppose this kind insight comes with a lot of practice! I have been using some of the GDL objects contained in the object libraries which were included with the ArchiCAD installation discs. A good portion of the objects seem to 'disappear' from my project and a Missing Parts box asks to locate them. Why does this happen and how do I prevent this from happening?
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
what you could also do is use the 'mesh to roof' add-on to convert your mesh into roof elements. depending on its complexity this could either work for or against you. if you haven't already loaded it as an add-on, go to Tools>Add-On Manager... and then 'Search for more Add-Ons...'. the 'mesh to roof' add-on can be found in the /Graphisoft/ArchiCAD 9 Folder/Goodies/ folder.

once loaded it should appear in your Tools menu as 'Create Roof from Mesh'. select your mesh and then use this command. the advantages (depending on the complexity of your mesh/roof) are that you can then start to use the roof accessories to achieve structural and finishes data quickly and easily . . .

HTH
~/archiben
I'm using Archicad 11, where can I find the 'Mesh to roof' add-on? I looked in some folders in add-on and I don't have it there and I looked if I have something like that for option somewhere in archicad but I couldn't found it. So can someone tell me where can I find this? Or is there any other way to convert a mesh into a roof?
Thanks
Eduardo Rolon
Menu-> Help
Select - AC11 Goodies
___
follow instructions
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thomas Holm
Booster
You don't need it. Check the other thread.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Djordje
Ace
garytom wrote:
Djordje: I suppose this kind insight comes with a lot of practice! I have been using some of the GDL objects contained in the object libraries which were included with the ArchiCAD installation discs. A good portion of the objects seem to 'disappear' from my project and a Missing Parts box asks to locate them. Why does this happen and how do I prevent this from happening?
Yep ... I used the Mesh to roof three times. First, last and never again. Which does not mean that it is not usable, especially for trimming stuff before the SEOs came aboard.

Nothing disappears. Load your libraries properly:

1. Standard Archicad library, not to be touched
2. Project specific library (just a subfolder in the project folder named projectname.lib)
3. Office library - a folder with stuff used in all the projects in the office.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
Djordje you're awfully fast at times. That question is three years old!

As for Maya's question, I think the right answer is in the - use her beam roof and SEO the wall tops. Don't you?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!