cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Morph pet palette not giving me the pencil tool

Chris Pooley
Enthusiast

Hi,

I used to be able to do this in A25, for some reason I can not figure this out in 27

I follow the instructions in that video, when I click the morph it just selects the morph, it doesn't give me options.  When I shift + select, it doesn't give me the tools I need to create the hole, see image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvULnFQBei0

In 3D I get all the tools I need, but this means my lines are in arbitrary locations. I really need to do this in my elevation view.

Any guesses as to what I am doing wrong?

Thank you

Operating system used: Windows 11

Draw geometry with that line tool - creates 2nd morph, not a hole.pngPet Palette - in 3D only.pngPet Palette - no pencil.pngDraw geometry with that line tool.png
ArchiCAD 19 to 27
Windows 11
15 REPLIES 15
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

It seems that in Section/Elevations, the Pet Palette appears only if you select the Morph and click any of its edges, but not when you just click a general surface point (works like this in Ac25 as well for me). Still, you can draw the edges of the hole like this, it just takes a few more steps (drawing a rectangle, drawing an additional line for the 4th side of the hole, deleting surface sub-element within the 4 line segments to create the hole, deleting unnecessary line segments on Morph face).

Or, you can do it in 3D where you can click any surface point and the Pet Palette appears.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thanks for the reply Laszlo, I appreciate your time.

I can not follow your instructions.

I draw the morph, then when I want to create the hole, I can not select the inside of the morph to draw the rectangle. The only way I know to draw a shape inside a morph (or fill or mesh, etc.) is to select the tool, then Shift + select the object I want to edit.  In your instructions, how are you drawing the rectangle?

To draw it in 3D it is less accurate as I can not draw in an exact spot. I can shift between 3D and 2D to move the lines around, this just takes more steps, and I have to plan ahead as I have to do it before the morph has volume (i.e. is still flat)

Can you elaborate a little more on your instructions for drawing the rectangle in 2D?

Thank you,

Chris

ArchiCAD 19 to 27
Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Hi @Chris Pooley, I am not sure what step you might be missing but have you selected the morph surface first before activating the pencil icon ? 

Here is an excellent tutorial video by James Badcock who shows us how to cut holes in 3D morphs but the principles might also apply to a morph surface ? Give it a try and see if you can get it to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VThnuppGeXM

AC8.1 - AC28 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Sequoia

Hi @mthd 

For Laszlo's steps, I get stuck on the first point, I can not draw the rectangle, as the pencil icon wont come up.

I can create the hole in a 3D view, I just can not do it in a 2D view like a section or elevation.

RE your question about the pencil Icon, I am not getting the pencil icon in any 2D views, unless I click the edge of the morph, but I don't want to create the hole from the edge. Again, no problem getting the pencil icon and creating the hole in 3D.

I can follow all the instructions in the video you linked. But I was hoping to be able to draw and create the hole in a horizontal plane view like section or elevation, as then I can use guide lines or a polyline to trace over as I want the holes to appear in exact locations.

I do remember being able to do this in earlier versions of archicad, maybe A19? The video I linked at the top of this post, the bloke is doing it, but I can see from the graphics of his tools that is an earlier version of archicad.

Thank you,

Chris

ArchiCAD 19 to 27
Windows 11

@Chris Pooley yes you are right about it working in AC25 in the elevation 2D plane. I can also cut a hole in a 2D morph surface in AC25 in the 2D elevation plane but not in AC27 ???

I wonder if there is a new command on how to cut a hole in a 2D morph surface in the 2D elevation plane or it is just not possible now ?

@Chris Pooley wrote:

RE your question about the pencil Icon, I am not getting the pencil icon in any 2D views, unless I click the edge of the morph, but I don't want to create the hole from the edge. Again, no problem getting the pencil icon and creating the hole in 3D.

Unfortunately that is just the way morphs work.

I am not sure why you can draw a line away from the edge in 3D, but in elevation it hast to start from an edge (or corner node).

So, 2 choices.

Draw from the edge and then delete the joining line.

Or you can place an new separate line or polygon morph in the shape you want.

BarryKelly_0-1724211965139.png

But note, it will be in the plane of the section cut and not on the surface of the morph.

Jump back to plan or 3D and you will see the poly-morph as a line - move it to the solid morph (you don't have to as you can manipulate it later as well).

BarryKelly_1-1724211991658.png

Now you will have one morph and you can push/pull the surfaces as you want.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

That method sounds a bit too complicated to me @Barry Kelly with using AC27.

I do like your old trick of using the “3D window and looking to perpendicular” and then we can perform the surface 2D morph operations with the select and delete method from the excellent video from Shoegnome or Jared Banks. At least this way you stay on the same plane as the original 2D morph and avoid all those other steps.

Thanks Barry,

At least we have confirmed that I am not just missing something

I cant delete unwanted lines, when I ctrl + shift select the line, it selects the whole morph also, so when I delete I loose the morph.

ChrisPooley_0-1724214416928.png

ArchiCAD 19 to 27
Windows 11

It looks like just the line is selected - so it should just delete that.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Setup info provided by author

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!