Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

NEED HELP Cutting Down file size

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need help with cutting down the size of my pln in AC10. Ive tried what I know and the file is still at 80 mb from 149mb before. Ive deleted unnecessary libraries, deleted plot sheets that I dont need. deleted drawings that I dont need. What else do I need to look at to reducing the file size. MY file is too large and taking forever to open/save/update..etc. PLEASE HELP!

THANKS!
8 REPLIES 8
TomWaltz
Participant
big files happen once in a while. Is your computer fast enough?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
It should be able to handle it.

Im running :

Machine Name: Power Mac G5 Quad
Machine Model: PowerMac11,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 4
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 2.5 GB

Im just worried that if it is this slow now, once we go into CD's things might be even more slow when the file size increases with a larger plot book, etc. Another thing that concerns me is that, other projects that we have which is more developed is still under 20 MB and loading/running much faster.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Setting sections and elevations to manual rebuild will help, and set the "Update Autorebuild Model viewpoints continuously" to OFF in Options> Preferences> Miscellaneous
Anonymous
Not applicable
BEE wrote:
MY file is too large and taking forever to open/save/update..etc.
It sounds like it may be a network problem.
TomWaltz
Participant
I think Matthew is right. If the file operations are what take the longest, I'd look at network issues: network card, cabling, routers/switches, server connection, backbone, etc.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm a fan of polycount, on the AC add-ons page. I've found occassionally some parts have a shocking number of polygons, and if set to simple rather than detailed it helps with speed.

Not sure it will reduce file size though...

I'm sure you deleted extraneous layers, materials, and pen tables. Those attributes tend to multiply and add to file size.
Karl Ottenstein
Under Work Environment > User Pref Schemes > More Options do you have "Save Navigator Preview Data with Project Files" unchecked?

(Even unchecked, I've found this a bit buggy - the preview window can show old information for each viewpoint and I have to click Redraw Preview from the flyout when working on a template to purge old drawing information.)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
BEE wrote:
I need help with cutting down the size of my pln in AC10. Ive tried what I know and the file is still at 80 mb from 149mb before. Ive deleted unnecessary libraries, deleted plot sheets that I dont need. deleted drawings that I dont need. What else do I need to look at to reducing the file size. MY file is too large and taking forever to open/save/update..etc. PLEASE HELP!

THANKS!
What I did in such a case:
set all Sections/Elevations/Interior Elevations to Manual Update, then hide all layers and regenerate all Sections/Elevations/Interior Elevations, which will naturally will contain no model data. This can cut down file size considerably.

Another one, which may be stupid but obvious: is the file saved Compressed? (Options button in Save as Dialog)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27